penn foster motorcycle engine exam

blasterman87

Nov 17, 2008
heres part of a penn foster exam i took today, just because i wanna share it

Examination Number
MOTORCYCLE AND ATV ENGINES CONFIGURATIONS

When you have completed your exam and reviewed your answers, click Submit Exam. Answers will not be recorded until you hit Submit Exam. If you need to exit before completing the exam, click Cancel Exam.

Questions 1 to 20: Select the best answer to each question.

1. The single-cylinder four-stroke engine has a power stroke every _______ degrees of crankshaft revolution.
A. 120
B. 180
C. 360
D. 720

2. What engine has the highest power-to-weight ratio of any engine found on modern motorcycles?
A. Twin-cylinder two-stroke
B. Three-cylinder V-three
C. Four-cylinder two-stroke
D. Four-cylinder four-stroke

3. During which stage of engine operation does the burning mixture of air and fuel force the piston downward in a four-stroke engine?
A. Compression
B. Power
C. Intake
D. Exhaust

4. The twin-cylinder two-stroke engine will normally have a crankshaft design known as a _____ design.
A. 120º
B. 180º
C. 360º
D. 720º

5. The four basic four-stroke engine operation stages, in their proper order, are
A. compression, intake, power, exhaust.
B. power, compression, intake, exhaust.
C. intake, compression, power, exhaust.
D. intake, power, compression, exhaust.

6. By definition, work is a force that is applied over a specific
A. distance.
B. period of time.
C. weight.
D. amount of power.

7. Work ÷ Time = _______.
A. Torque
B. Horsepower
C. Power
D. Force

8. What would the compression ratio be if a cylinder has a volume of
250 cc and a combustion chamber volume of 20 cc?
A. 0.08:1
B. 8:1
C. 10:1
D. 12.5:1

9. When the piston is at its highest point, it's said to be at
A. TDC.
B. BDC.
C. ABC.
D. BBC.

10. What is the name of the device used to measure engine torque and horsepower?
A. Manometer
B. Compressor
C. Dynamometer
D. Vernier caliper

let me give this a wing keep in mind im 14 lmao'
c,a,a,b,c,a,c,d,a,c i think i got 5 wrong i think its d and that would make #3 d so i guess id go like this
c,a,d,b,d,a,c,d,a,c

number 8 is d, i think all others are right but thats half the test, theres 10 more its kinda hard to test your answers because i dont have the answers in front of me either lol

I would love to take this course! I am a bit skeptical though. I'm more so in the car/truck/heavy truck although by no means an expert! I am enrolled with Penn Foster in the Locksmith course. Not at all what I expected but informative just the same. Please, please keep us informed as to how you progress and what you think the course will mean to you and others in the future.

Oh, the locksmith course will not teach how to pick a lock or anything of the sort. You can learn more on YouTube in 15 minutes! Just curious if taking the Motorcycle mechanic course will teach you how to port a Blaster? If you catch my drift.

no, it doesnt teach modification so far and im in the engine courses, but does have diagrams of flow/timing and compression and how it works, from now on ill make a cheat sheet after i take the test so people can give me there answers and ill be able to tell them fail/pass, i cannot give out answers though as if they find out id get kicked out..lol

pm me the correct answers? since i want this to be my carreer

you got 4 wrong, i made a answer sheet if anyone else wants to try, when you post answers put numbers beside them its easyer to check, and thats only half the test theres 10 more questions heres the wrest of the test, it wont let me post it all at once its to big

11. What four-stroke engine design allows for the greatest displacement in the smallest overall area?
A. In-line four-cylinder
B. In-line six-cylinder
C. V-twin cylinder
D. Single-cylinder

12. A measure of the twisting or rotational force that an engine can produce is called
A. rotary distance.
B. torque.
C. horsepower.
D. compression ratio.

13. Which of the following is the least complex engine design used on motorcycles and ATVs?
A. Four-stroke single-cylinder
B. Four-stroke twin-cylinder
C. Two-stroke single-cylinder
D. Two-stroke triple-cylinder

14. Which of the following components can be found in the crankcases of a two-stroke single-cylinder engine?
A. Piston
B. Cylinder
C. Transmission
D. Wrist pin

15. The connecting rod and crankshaft convert up-and-down (reciprocating) motion into
A. a small, contained explosion.
B. rotary motion.
C. a release of exhaust gases.
D. movement in the cylinder head.

16. An in-line, three-cylinder, two-stroke engine has a power stroke every _______ degrees of crankshaft revolution.
A. 120
B. 180
C. 360
D. 720

17. In a four-stroke engine, during which stage of operation does the piston rise to trap the air-and-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber?
A. Power
B. Exhaust
C. Intake
D. Compression

18. What is mixed with ethylene glycol to create the coolant for a liquid-cooled engine?
A. Tap water
B. Spring water
C. Distilled water
D. Mineral water

19. The component used in an engine to engage and disengage power from the crankshaft to the transmission is the
A. clutch.
B. shift mechanism.
C. connecting rod.
D. shift bearing.

20. The maximum power output of an engine is usually given in units called
A. rpm.
B. bhp.
C. ft-lbs.
D. tdc.

1.D
2.C
3.B
4.B
5.C
6.B
7.C
8.D
9.A
10.C

Damn, i could be a mechanic LOL. Engines arent even that hard, it just takes experience

Is this a real test? like for motorcycle techs? If so what level? High school votech? College? A couple of the questions are honestly missing information to be 100% correct #16 would depend entirely on the crankshaft design. Even though its ridiculous to think all 3 pistons would be in sync its possible.

I took a course through Penn Foster. Automotive repair/small engines or something like that. It wasn't hard. It would have helped to have some hands-on with it, but since it's all online, I couldn't exactly do that. The certificate/diploma looked good, but doesn't hold any weight in the real world/job market. Overall, not bad for the money if you are doing it to educate yourself about a hobby or interest.