painting frame. help

Dan151

Jan 1, 2008
mass
my frame is starting too look like crap so i think im going to try to paint in myself. i don't have the money for powder coating so spray paint it is. any body else who has done this or painted any other parts of there blaster want to give me a few tips.

what i think im going to do first use a sanding attachment on a drill to get some of the majority of the paint off then go at it with some medium grit sand paper until im sure its clean of the paint. what grit do you reccomened?
38strip.jpg

then probably use some paint prep cleaner, then a couple coats of gloss black paint, then a couple coats of clear coat to finish it off.

should come out lookin goodI:I

you dont need to remove all of the paint, you just need to rought it up with some medium grit paper and wash it of with soap and water afterwards, let it completely dry then start by applying light coats, take your time, dont spray on thick, you will be pleased if you take your time. as for spray paint clear coat, i have never had good luck with it, it always looks speckly, imo hope this helped

you dont need to remove all of the paint, you just need to rought it up with some medium grit paper and wash it of with soap and water afterwards, let it completely dry then start by applying light coats, take your time, dont spray on thick, you will be pleased if you take your time. as for spray paint clear coat, i have never had good luck with it, it always looks speckly, imo hope this helped

yeah i figured that the sander would be too much, what about primer?

if your not down to bare metal dont worry about primer, but you can never go wrong with primer either cause it will give you a fresh base to work with.

yeah i think i might just put a coat of primer on before the paint because i want this surface to be clean and the paint to stay on well. any other suggestion? taking the bike apart? specific paint type?

i would take it down to frame only, its only about 2hr's of work to get it down to only the frame. any paint is good, just make sure where ever you are painting is at least close to 60 degrees or hotter, if its cold out it will take along time to dry and stay sticky for a long time

i would take it down to frame only, its only about 2hr's of work to get it down to only the frame. any paint is good, just make sure where ever you are painting is at least close to 60 degrees or hotter, if its cold out it will take along time to dry and stay sticky for a long time

yeah thats true! its close to 50 and 60 here in mass on weekends so i think im going to start soon. just have to decide what color to do. im buying maier racing plastics so im trying to decide between a black frame and white plastics, all black, or white frame and black plastics. im leaning torwards the white plastics and black frame, im just worried that the white plastics will mark up easy but i guess black will to.

Use an implement paint and then use about 5 coats of clear. I did this to a friends and it is holding up awesome.

Using grease remover before you paint is a good idea to. Helps clean it up so the paint will stick good. You can get it at any auto body supply shops. I used it on mine when i painted it, helped alot.

I used duplicolor high heat engine enamel clear coat for the clear. Like I said we sprayed about 5 coats on it and it is holding up great

alright i think ive got a good idea about what im going to do, black frame and black maier front! sry crusty im just not a big fan of the taurus front. any advise on stripping the bike down to the frame? i dont want to forgot something and end up blowing my motor cuz of some stupid mistake

well, you can leave most of the wiring still connected up when you pull the motor, somethings you may have to unplug, just replug them in right away so they go around the frame for removal or label everything

well, you can leave most of the wiring still connected up when you pull the motor, somethings you may have to unplug, just replug them in right away so they go around the frame for removal or label everything

yeah thats a really good idea. im going to start this weekend and hopefully it will be done late next week

thanks for all the help guysI:I

the taurus race fender is made from a maier race fender with the hood added on just fyi

DONT FORGET:
this is what i always do wether its an entire strip down or a simple rebuild
EVERYPART goes in a ziplock bag labeled with black marker. and if your not lazy you should write a short note as to where the part goes and leave it in the bag aswell

as for the wireing just take it off, its not hard to put on all it is is connecting co-colored wires red to red blue to blue green to grean ect ect

oh and strip every oz of rust off that sh*t primer then sand -primer -sand - color -sand -color -color -color then like 5 coats of clear high heat.

thats what i am doing