Old newb from Kennywood's backyard

slickerthanyou

Dec 23, 2009
Hello everyone,

New to the quad world. My son and I are building up and '89 blaster -that's blown up- his uncle gave him a year ago. I will get pics up in a day or two. I'm and older guy but love to ride anything that is motorized. My daughter has a '08 250 raptor SE 2 all black plastics all stock except for air filter, GYTR exhaust, skid plates that little thing screams, I've climbed a mountain with it only thing I wish is- I bought the 350 instead cause definitley need reverse when your old!
My son has been riding his sisters quad an a ttr125 for three years and has outgrown it being 16 and 6 foot tall now. He loves the two strokes! So we are going to do a semi-complete rebuild. (complete engine)

For the motor we have decided to go with a +4 stroker hotrod crank and rod, of course all new bearings and seals the top end is 68mm piston and a 30mm carb. The exhaust is full FMF. I don't know what it will put out but can't wait to see. My son will paint it (not sure of color) It looks like longer rear axles but don't know for sure. The quad was originally the Goverments border patrol My bro in law bought it at auction for $800 about 4 years ago and just beat the hell out of it. Due to getting hurt too much (ya he is old too) he gave it to my son. It looks like maxxis on rear and stock on front. Don't really know but will have fun building it. This is my first small engine build but if i can do 8 cylinders I can do 1!

Anybody close to kennywood want to lend me a flywheel tool or come take it off?

Thanks- BobI:I

Welcome round here.
I'm an old man too lol
FWIW that +4 crank will need the cases trenched to fit.
If you can do 8 cylinders you will love a Blaster motor....

FWIW that +4 crank will need the cases trenched to fit.
If you can do 8 cylinders you will love a Blaster motor....

That's fine, If I can't do it, i'll take it to machine shop an have them cut it up, i may do that anyhow.

Thanks for the welcomes!!!

welcome to the site bro, old fart from johnstown here, ask anything ya need to know, someone on here knows the answer, gettin ready to order a puller, how soon ya need it???

I live about an hour or so away from Kennywood too. There are a few people in the Pittsburgh area that may help you out...

welcome man....is the piston a 68mm now.......or are u planning on going to that, if so, go the smallest overbore as possible, 68mm is the last bore u can go on a stock cylinder

welcome to the site bro, old fart from johnstown here, ask anything ya need to know, someone on here knows the answer, gettin ready to order a puller, how soon ya need it???

I actually ordered one of ebay but Motion pro brand and it doesn't fit. I got like 1/2 thread then it won't screw the rest of the way. Can't get a response back from the guy I bought it from -oh well out 9bucks. Guess i have to get one from yamaha. Thanks for the offer however!!

welcome man....is the piston a 68mm now.......or are u planning on going to that, if so, go the smallest overbore as possible, 68mm is the last bore u can go on a stock cylinder

Yes I'm on the last bore this cylinder can get. I thought I read somewhere that you can re-sleeve it?