Nickle plated cylinder

ChrisZx7

May 15, 2012
Rochester, Ny
What are my options to do since it will need new rings?

I heard a plated cylinder cannot be bored. But can be re-plated? Does this mean just a replate and new rings is all it needs?

Buy a aftermarket steel sleeve and throw it in?

Does KOR do resleeves?

ken does re-sleeving, or can prepare a nikasealed cylinder and send it out for re-plating
we had my buddies ktm144 cylinder re-plated thru ken
you know the # to call

ken does re-sleeving, or can prepare a nikasealed cylinder and send it out for re-plating
we had my buddies ktm144 cylinder re-plated thru ken
you know the # to call

How does the re-plating work? Keeps same size bore? Just get re-plated and then buy same size rings n piston?

How does the re-plating work? Keeps same size bore? Just get re-plated and then buy same size rings n piston?

nikasealed cylinders keep the stock piston size, they strip the existing plating, and in my buddies case, weld the gouges from folded over rings, re-bore those welds to stock size and replate.
usually bikes with nikasealed cylinders only offer the stock size piston.

look up pistons for the bike your talking about, chances are the stock size is all thats available.

nikasealed cylinders keep the stock piston size, they strip the existing plating, and in my buddies case, weld the gouges from folded over rings, re-bore those welds to stock size and replate.
usually bikes with nikasealed cylinders only offer the stock size piston.

look up pistons for the bike your talking about, chances are the stock size is all thats available.

Ah i get it now. Well ill call Ken tomorrow and go over the options for it. Thx Awk.

I had the same problem on my kx250. I opted to get a steel sleeve pressed in. Boring is cheaper than replating. A plated cylinder will last longer though.

Ken site says about $450 for new sleeve, that includes everything needed to bolt it back up and he will clean the powervalves.

SCORE! Ripping this biatch apart tomorrow.

So it pretty much evens out.

Any idea roughly what each cost?

i think ken has it listed on his website somewhere ?
but i vaguely remember about $350 just for the plating, and my buddy did it twice in 3 years :eek:

we sent it thru a local shop the first time to US. Chrome, i almost had to hurt someone that time, they claimed they sent it in, then "maybe it got lost in the mail" blah, blah, blah, 2 months later and after some calls to us chrome, they called me back and finally got our cylinder, turns out the guy used our downpayment $ for his taxes or sumthin, and never sent it in until i started threatening bodily harm I:I
my buddy missed 1/2 the gncc races that year.

i think it was like 3 weeks back to my door thru ken

I would do the sleeve. Just jet it good and bore it every couple years.

we questioned that the second round, only stock size pistons are available for the ktm144, better check if overbore pistons are available for whatever bike gets swapped from a nik'd cylinder to iron sleeve