New top end break in

BlastOiDnYC

Jul 18, 2009
Wasup blasterforums I just got my cylinder and head port and polished from FLOTEK and got the head cut to Im using a Wiseco piston on it. I would like to know how to break in this top end right and when I read the instructions on the wiseco piston it said to make three holes on the piston?? if anybody can help me plz thanks.

If i remember correct the holes are to aid in oiling the piston.Your piston should have come with a diagram that said where,and what size drill bit to use.

The Wiesco instruction sheet is somewhat universal. The holes are for engines with bridged exhaust ports. No holes needed.
It is just my opinion and stems from my experience with 4 strokes but I never use synthetic oil when breaking in a new set of rings. Run a half tank of good petroleum base oil then drain and switch to synthetic.
Why you ask.
When seating in new rings you want to ware off the sharp peaks of the hone. I've seen new V8 engines that were broken in with mobile 1 and the cylinders looked like glass. What happens is a Synthetic oil provides way too much lubrication and will not let the "peaks" ware off. Instead what you get is a burnishing. Instead of the "peaks wearing off they bend over. Again, this is just a practice I also use on 2 strokes because breaking in rings on a 4 stroke with synthetic oil is a known no no.

Hey guys got one more noob question the wiseco piston has an arrow pointing down which way do I put it towards the reeds or towards the headers thanks again guys.