New member from Southern tier NY

ASoles

Feb 21, 2015
Savona, NY 14879
Hi all, Im new to the forums here. Like the Title says I'm from upstate NY. I just purchased an 03 Blaster for my 11 yo son. All stock and runs pretty good, will be looking at various mods to make it a bit better for my son. As I do so i will lean on the members here for help, advice etc... Im not new to ATV's or modding them, but I am new to the blaster and 2-stroke in general. Ive done some research already and a few of the first mods i want to do are... Tires, Nerf Bars, Pipe and jet, eventually port and polishing, shocks - maybe extended swing arm and A-arms. Im on a limited budget so its gonna take some time. Any advice as to what to do first would be helpful. Im not looking to make this a race ready machine, just increase dependability and comfort. A little power gain is always a plus but remember this is for my 11 yo son. This will be his first experience with a sport quad, hoping he can get a few years of fun out of it.

Reactions: cbaber
Where abouts in N.Y you from?

First and foremost,,, leak test and check compression. Check that chain and sprockets are in good shape, check bearings both front and rear. Make sure all lug nuts are tight (last thing you want is your little one to go riding and a tire to fall off) << sounds stupid but it has happened. Check tie rod ends and ball joints are good. Grease all the fittings, and check air filter. Yanno the basic stuff.

You must do a leakdown test, and a compression test will give you a good idea on piston/ring condition. If he wont be riding really hard and or hitting big jumps some wheel spacers would be good. Maybe a swing arm extension if you could find one. 11 is pretty young so maybe focus on the stability and handling before engine mods. (just my opinion though)

Savona, NY. 100% agree, 11 is pretty young for this machine. I really want to concentrate on the stability side of things. Wheel spacers are a great idea, didn't think of that. Just got the quad home today and did the initial test run. Everything felt ok but i am def going to be going over it with a "fine toothed comb". Ive got a couple months before the snow is gone enough for him to ride it. I will follow your advice and do a compression/leak test. Chain and rear sprocket is brand new, not sure of the quality of chain. Seemed a bit noisy to me, maybe just the guides need replacing. I did notice a little play in the upper A-arm, where it mounts to the frame. Have to find out if there are any replaceable bushing for this. I really appreciate the advice, Thank You.

wheel spacers
good brakes/levers that can be reached by him.
you could limit the throttle/the screw sticking out of throttle housing/as long as there is no hills
chest protector/helmet a must
welcome aboard:)

Thanks speedy! Much agreed, I will have him sit on the bike tomorrow so i can get a look to see if he has any problems with the levers. Good helmet, boots, chest protector and googles are on the list of first for sure. Momma and i wouldn't have it any other way. Army has taught me to mitigate risks where ever possible!

Most of it has been said.

Before you look for more power, get it wider ( flipping the front wheels helps, but beware of the valve stem fouling the brakes.) and improve the handling as in suspension.

As to the noisy chain, if the front sprocket was not replaced, the noise could be the sprocket trying to destroy the chain.

They should be replaced as a complete set!

Chain adjustment is 40mm free play with the rider on the bike.

thanks for the info blaaster! The noise did seem to come from the front more, kinda why i was guessing slider. I will have to block it up and get a closer look. Would upgraded shocks be of much benefit? I didn't even think of flipping the front wheels, have to look into that. Thanks again.

Looks like i have my work cut out for me! Have to bring my son out in the garage so we can learn something together! Thank you again to everyone for your input. It really helps someone like me. I will be sure to do the same for others as I learn more about this machine. I look forward to posting some pics of progress as we move forward.

The stock Blaster shocks are very unforgiving and anything you can get will be an improvement.

If money is tight a cheap set of Banshee shocks give a better ride!

Yes the bushings are replaceable and not really pricey either. Do all at once as the bushings come in a set. The ball joints in the A arms however are not replaceable. As far as blaster shocks they are a bit rough to say the least. you could go aftermarket or a cheaper little better upgrade is going to banshee front shocks. They are an improvement and can be had at a decent price. As far as rear shocks, a 400ex,ltz,kfx or alike is mosly used and you will need special bushings for it. Which can be had here.. http://www.kenoconnorracing.com/400EX Shock on a Blaster.html