Need Advice Please: Rear Hydro Brakes

blaster253

Oct 3, 2014
Hey Guys,

So, I've been given the complete rear axle/carrier, caliper, brake line, master cylinder, and brake reservoir from a 2004 Yamaha Blaster. The only problem is the bike didn't have the right foot peg or brake pedal. My question is, is the foot peg and brake pedal different for years 2003-2006 than 1988-2002? It looks like some people posting them on ebay say 1988-2006 and others just show 1988-2002. I do have an extra foot peg from a 1997, just wondering if I need to purchase a brake pedal from a 2003-2006. Thanks!

Yes, the 03-06 right side peg and brake lever are different. Is there a way to make the older style work? you will have to modify it somehow, extending it I think? Now if you have a pre 03 frame you are also going to have to mount the rear master cylinder and reservoir. If you have access to a welder it wont be hard to fab up some brackets.

The 1st few years of Blasters (88,89-?) had shorter footpegs than all the later years. 90ish to 02 are all the same and set up for cable brakes. 03-06 right footpeg and brake lever are different and set up for the hydro mastercylinder. The brake pedal pivot location is entirely different. If you just weld on the early brake pedal lever to make it reach, it will work, but it won't be right. The leverage will be wrong. Get yourself a right 03-06 footpeg and pedal and do it right. If your Blaster is the 88,89-?, get the left footpeg also. The easy way to tell the difference is that the early years didn't have footbaskets.

Thanks fella's for all the great reply's! Sorry I should have added, the hydro's will be going on a 1997. I already have hydro fronts and this is the last step to get this thing back on the trails!