Left side Crank case

Carl Bumgardner

Apr 14, 2017
I just bought a 2005 and have been working on repairing it. I noticed the left side crank case has been poorly welded and is leaking. I appears to have been busted at the stem where the shift lever comes through the case. I tried the jb weld fix but can't seem to get it sealed off.
Many many years ago is split a Suzuki quadracer case and sucessfully got it back together but I don't feel like messing with all the transmission gears and shift forks on the blaster. I was wondering if is is possible to pull the left side of the case off without disasembling the transmission?

Grab yourself a clymers manual. The tranny isn't difficult to handle. To answer your question, no. The tranny will come out.

I split the case and found major issues inside
The final drive shaft was snapped and teeth broke off of other gears. Now I can't get the crank out of the left side case. How can I remove it?

I noticed the left side crank case has been poorly welded and is leaking. I appears to have been busted at the stem where the shift lever comes through the case.

There's your issue. Previous owner had the tranny grenade on him causing the case to break. How long have you been riding it around?

Good and bad news!

Good: Gives you an excuse for a pro-mod tranny :)

Bad: time for new cases.

20170422_150957.jpg
20170422_150950.jpg

There's your issue. Previous owner had the tranny grenade on him causing the case to break. How long have you been riding it around?

Good and bad news!

Good: Gives you an excuse for a pro-mod tranny :)

Bad: time for new cases.

The case damage appears to be from the chain not the transmission
There was another one of the clutch ball bearings inside the case when I opened it so I am sure that is what happened to the Transmission. The bearing didn't have any marks on it but I assume that was the cause. When I bought the bike there was nothing on it related to the clutch so is suspected the owner prior to who I bought it off of caused the issue then ripped the parts off of it. The guy I bought it from did a two bike purchase and sold one off as running then sold me this one.
From the first time u had it running it wouldn't shift into 2nd very easy. It would shift through the gears not running and still did after I had it running but just not when riding it.
I was worried I would pull the cases apart and not see anything obvious but I am pretty sure of what is wrong with it LOL

I heated the case around the back of the seal (not on the seal) and was able to knock it out pretty easy. But the bearings are stuck in the crank. I'm trying to deside to leave them and just install with the crank when I get the new side case or not.

Reactions: best