Jetting a 35 mm air stryker

Darian

May 24, 2015
Hi guys im new to this and have read a million post so I was like since im rebuilding the whole blaster I might as well create an account. I have a vitos 240 ported and polished jug by ken occonor, +3 crank, vf4 reeds, dynoports new stroker exhaust, 35 mm air stryker carb. Ken told me to run 110 mix 50/50 with pump fuel. The carb came from carbuerator parts ware house with 168 main 48 pilot. I cannot get the bike to idle after adjusting the air screw to lean it out can one of you get me close that has a similar set up. I forgot also paul from vitos recommended a cooler plug br9es should I be running a b8es thanks.

Last edited:
From what everyone on here says, only run the b8es.

I have a near identical build as yours with the 35mm air striker. Only difference is that I'm running the vito's fat bastard pipe. You can read my thread to see the journey I have been on to find my jetting. I still haven't even messed with my main jet yet but as of right now I got:

50 pilot with 2 1/2 turns on the air screw (so you might be good with the 48)
CEL needle on second to last clip position from bottom but last half throttle plug chop shows a little lean so I will probably drop it to the last position on the bottom
#6 slide
160 main but like I said, I haven't done any full throttle chops to see where I need to go on the main.

Here's the link to my jetting thread if you want to read as a little reference
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/jetting-help.61812/

Hope this helps and you can get your jetting done faster than me lol

Im trying to figure this forum out lol sorry I seen another guy running a 55 pilot have you tried anything bigger than a 50. I was curious to why you were richening your needle as the needle position does not effect idle I was told it effects 1/4 to 3/4 throttle

Im trying to figure this forum out lol sorry I seen another guy running a 55 pilot have you tried anything bigger than a 50. I was curious to why you were richening your needle as the needle position does not effect idle I was told it effects 1/4 to 3/4 throttle
No I haven't tried anything bigger because if I turn my air screw to like 1 or 1 1/2 turns out then it smokes and bogs and isn't as responsive as it is at 2 1/2 so I'm assuming I'm good for my application.

You are correct with the needle. It is 1/4-3/4 throttle. I moved on from my pilot and did half throttle plug chops to figure out my needle settings.

Last edited:
remember, everyone's blaster is different even with similar mods. I'm just trying to help get you in the ballpark. And my set up may not even help if your pipe is for a different application than mine.

I never thought of it but I guess i could pull the choke while idling to see if I need to go bigger on the pilot. Any experienced carb tuners agree with that idea or does it not work like that? maybe someone else can chime in and help with their opinion.

I appreciate any help I can get lol I just ordered 55 52 50 I already have 48 45 42 couldn't get a response out of any of them with air fuel screw or the idle screw so I figured im to lean I also tried to pull the choke and still no effect so idk which direction to go thanks for your help hopefully I can get this sorted out its awefully frustrating.

So will yours idle without keeping on the throttle.

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MURPH
mine didn't idle without using throttle because the idle screw doesn't lift the slide hardly at all. I had to adjust the idle with the throttle cable adjustment. Someone else on here said they had to do that as well with their carb. not idling unless you hit the throttle doesn't necessarily mean you are off on the jets. Adjust your throttle cable and see i you can get it to idle. If you can then adjust your air screw based off the response from your engine idle

I have no doubt it will idle if I adjust the throttle cable and pull the slide up same thing as keeping your thumb on the throttle I just thought you needed to get it to idle without having tension on the cable thus pulling the slide up letting more air and fuel enter to keep it running. But if that's what its down to I guess that's what ill have to do if the richer pilots will not work.

Thats what I did with mine and no one told me not to. when I had the carb apart, I looked inside while I screwed the idle screw in and out and it only actually moved the slide around the last full turn before the spring bottomed out on the idle screw. Thats why I figured I just needed to just adjust the throttle cable to open it. I wonder if they make an idle screw that is longer for it? that would probably be the best way to fix it.

I just screwed the idle knob down all the way and adjusted the idle with the throttle cable too. I dont think its bad u just got to get it to where it doesn't accelerate when you turn the bars

It would be better with the idle screw holding the slide. Don't know if there is a longer screw, but maybe you could file/grind a hair off tha carb body.

As to the colder plug, Paul has been around 2s for a long time, and at Vito's for a good bit too. Worse case would be that it fouls out to easily. Kind of depends on application and how/where you ride.

i use a br9es on my vitos big bore with no fouling. he told me to use it with the big bore because of the extra heat generated by the bigger piston

I ordered some richer pilot jets a 50 52 and a 55 ill update yall in a couple days and let you know what happens. Im trying to make sense out ouf why I have to be on the throttle to keep it running does it need more air flow to lean out the fuel mixture or does it need more fuel with the amount of air its getting, I have a clamp on k&n pod filter .

I called the guy at carb parts warehouse and he acted like hes never hear of an issue with it not idling so maybe I got something terribly wrong with mine. I'll be tuned in to see your results

What slide do you have in yours? because he asked what slide I had to make sure I put a #6 in it. He says the 4.5 is way to rich for blasters and the #6 is what we need. Thats what I got in mine