How to wheelie

6' 3" 150 lbs? talk about a bean pole... haha. i never use clutch. about 160 lbs, but if i smash it in 2nd or 3rd coming out of a corner on trails it'll come up on me without trying. i can bring it up in 4th, 5th if i do it just right, and almost got it up in 6th once or twice.

i weigh 85 pounds and i am 14 i wrestle for a living so i lose alot of weight. : )

lmao 14 u cant wrestle for a living more like a hobby but i can do up to 3rd no clutch 4 too and 5 and 6th i didnt get a chance to try b4 my reeds blew

i cant believe i missed this thread, i had an article on wheelies....
How To Wheelie
T.J. Scott

Wheelies are no doubt ably the best looking trick for how easy they are on flat ground. Most of the time wheelies are just to show off, but sometimes they can really save you. Say you are at the track, 3rd pinned, you are going about 40mph depending on what you are racing, a huge rut across the track comes up and you are in trouble! You need to wheelie, and let your rear suspension take all the hit, which is much safer and can save yourself lots of pain and money. Wheelies are pretty hard to get the hang of, and are always dangerous, but they are pretty sweet to watch and do. Remember also, you don’t need a 450 to hold wheelies all day, a lot of people do them on 50’s, and I can do them all day until it stalls or I run out of room on my xr75. The first thing you need to do is find out how sensitive your bike is to getting that front end up. Tap the throttle, a little harder each time until your front end comes up. Make sure while you’re doing this to be pulling hard on the handlebars and sitting towards the back of the bike. After you’ve done that, you need to practice bringing them back down for when you get a little too high. To do this, you basically need to tap/hit the rear brake depending on how critical coming back down is. MAKE SURE you can do this quickly before you start doing wheelies. Now that you know how much gas to give it, and you can bring it back down in a hurry, you need to know just how high to wheelie. Well, you need to find your balance point. The balance point is a scary place, and if you go past it you will usually loop the bike. Now, like I said earlier, sit towards the back of the bike, and pull up on the bars hard before and during the time you give it gas. You will always know when you’ve gotten into the balance point, its when you are pulling up on a wheelie, and all of a sudden it feels like your front end isn’t struggling to stay up, it feels really loose up in the air. And it is, you need to realize in order to keep it up there, you can’t pin it, you need to smoothly roll some gas on once you start going back down. Now, once you start going back down and you are about to run out of safe rpm’s, its time to shift. Shifting in a wheelie is really hard to get used to, but it can be done. Whether you use clutch or not, is up to you. I always use clutch, but that’s mostly because mine is brand new. It is damaging to your clutch/gears not to use it in a wheelie, just like it is when you’re riding flat. So, basically just shift up, and DO NOT pin it as soon as you get into the next gear because you think your momentum is lost. It is still there, torque does not matter while in a wheelie like people think it does. Pulling it up does, but once you are in the balance point, it takes about 1hp to keep the bike up. So, now that you can pull up a wheelie, hold it, shift, and bring it back down in a hurry, there’s one more thing that we need to talk about. Do I sit or stand? Well, I always stand, but you can sit on some occasions. Let’s say you are dodging a rut by wheeling. Well, you need to stand, and heres why, when your rear end hits that rut, you will need to keep your weight distributed in the exact same spot the whole time, which is very hard/impossible to do when you go over the smallest bump. So, sitting while wheeling over a rut will usually result in you either looping it, or going sideways and flipping over in a wheelie. Now, let’s say you are on flat ground, you can do whichever you want, I myself find standing to look cooler unless you are planning on pushing the balance point to it’s limits. Not only that, but its just easier to pull it up that way. So, there is a time for both. Now, one of the last things we need to talk about is terrain. Of course your bike won’t hook up as good on wet grass as it will on asphalt. So make sure the slicker the terrain, the less extra power you give the bike. Giving more power to the rear wheel to compensate for the slicker terrain will never work because all that this does is make the rear wheel lose all of it’s friction to the ground by spinning the tire with more force than it can take without slipping.
2 Stroke Procedure

Now, everything that I just said applies to you 2 strokers too, I just need to show you an easier procedure, especially for the 125 guys! First, start in first gear, power up to the powerband. With that done, bend your knees and elbows, you are getting ready to pull up. Now, allow your bike time to idle back down to where when you pin it, you will be back into the middle of the powerband (1-3 seconds) Now, the second you are sure you are there, use your bent elbows and knees to pull as hard as you can on your front end, and at that exact second, pin the bike right back into the powerband! This shock of power and weight distribution will for sure make your front end come up, and you will find yourself into the balance point in a matter of split seconds! Just don’t over do it. Now, on a 2 stroke, terrain has an even bigger difference on how your bike reacts to this shock in power. Like I said, if you find yourself on a gravel road, or wet grass, pull back less hard than usual, and try to give the bike just enough power to wheelie, without the rear wheel breaking loose. Trying to use more power and pulling harder than usual will just make it worse and you will for sure never get it.
So, with these tips hopefully you will be wheeling in no time, and be doing it right, and safely. Good luck!

T.J. Scott

Nice write up TJ, but I think you forgot one thing. You talked about how in an emergency you can just tap the rear brake and the bike comes right down, which is a good thing for people to know. However, what you should have also mentioned is that once you've got the front end up and you're ready to keep it up for more than just an up-and-down wheelie, a quick grab and let go of the front brakes will help you keep the front end up in the air. It seems retarded, I know, but it does help.

I don't recommend having to pop the clutch to wheelie....but if that's what you do that's what you do, but once you're decent at keeping a wheelie up in the air for a little more than just an up-and-down wheelie, just grab that front brake (front wheels in the air, of course) real quick to stop the front wheels from spinning and I guarantee you'll ride that wheelie longer.

I basically learned how to do wheelies on my Foreman by accident. Its a 500, heavy, and not a powerhouse, but i love it. If i am on flatground, i stand in the rear rack, get on pavement, give it hell in first, and and pull up. If im lucky the wheels come up about 5 inches and are up for a second. Its kindve impossible to wheelie on flat ground without popping the clutch, which i try not to do. Well, one day i was coming up the hill out back, and hit a small dip on top of the hill, somehow i got the front wheels to get air, while the rears stayed down. So i turned around and hit the same spot, i got it down to doing 15 in third gear, and this puts my rpms up higher in the powerband. I stand up, and put my legs against the rear fenders, i stay that way until i feel the front tires go down, and hit the other side. When they hit the other side it pops the front end up a tad, and thats where i start working. I floor it, lean back, and yank back on the bars. This gets me pretty far back. But on a utility atv thats stock, i dont advise it. Mainly because mine doesnt have the power to do this without really keeping the revs up, and the rear axle jumps. When the front end is up i feel either the clutch slipping, or the axle hopping, and neither are good. But i go about 10 or so feet and im back down because i cant exactly balance it during a wheelie when i have to hit a dip to do it. But thats how i cheat on wheelies. Use the landscape to your advantage.

its not about power, you can wheelie on a 50 if you can find and stay in the balance point, hell, i have

its not about power, you can wheelie on a 50 if you can find and stay in the balance point, hell, i have

On our Foreman you cant find the balance point. But a utility isnt made to do it. But tonight i did a wheelie coming out of our dry creek. At the top of the creek bank is another bank that goes up into the grass. i came out of the creek and floored it, hit the bank, and pulled up. Our Foreman is just to heavy to really do wheelies. Plus it wasnt sounding good when i was shifting so i had to take it easy.

you can ride a wheelie on a utility quad, you just need to know how to. 500 cc is tons of power! You can use the suspension to just pop the front end up a tad and then you've got enough torque to help keep it up for pretty much as long as you want.

everything has a balance point, trust me, eventually you will find it on your way down, lol