How to rebuild rattling kickstart?

noah9988

Sep 15, 2024
Hey guys, I recently bought a 1990 blaster that was in rough shape. I replaced the top end and a lot of bearings that were bad and also bought a kickstart rebuild kit because it was rattling somewhat and would sometimes swing out and hit my leg when riding. I've been able to find a ton of helpful information on this forum but unfortunately there is very little info on the kickstart save for a few threads that don't go into any detail. I knew that you're supposed to replace the ball, spring, and o ring. Well, on my kickstart the ball won't come out. It's either stuck or it's peened in there or something from the factory. The kickstart had 0 grease and was missing the o ring entirely so it's a bit better now but still rattles.

Does anyone know about this issue? Most of the information I found was on Banshees and although similar the kickstart mechanism doesn't appear to be the same. I can't find a single thread or video that shows a Blaster kickstart rebuild. The Banshee videos always show the ball just falling out. Thanks.

This is from our 33yr old guest Blaster. Hope it helps. Use a impact driver to loosen screw, if you strip it your screwed. 🤣
1000007382.jpg

The spring is prolly full of rust. I spray penetrating oil on the ball & work in and out with pliers. It should come free. Might need to scrape the rust from the end of the hole. I don't believe it is peened in as mine has a bit of chamfer.
1000007372.jpg

1000007375.jpg

Clean up all the parts and the locating hole in arm.
1000007377.jpg

1000007380.jpg

Find a suitable o-ring, grease it all up & reassemble. 🍻

Last edited:
Reactions: noah9988
Thanks, that really helps. I guess the ball in mine is just stuck. I'll work at it and see if I can get it out.

Alright, I got the ball out by taking a dremel and grinding it down until it popped out on its own. The spring was actually worn! I put the new ball, spring, and o ring in but unfortunately it still rattles slightly and it swung out and hit my leg once. I think the ball was stuck because the piece that the lever goes on had some gouging in it, and it made a little lip preventing it from coming out. All I can do now is add another o ring, it's just plain worn out.

Ok, this is not a recommendation. Just a story. This kicker is from my 89 backup engine. Worn sloppy, rusty, no o-ring and couldn't feel the ball.
1000007397.jpg

1000007402.jpg

Cleaned everything up & carefully enlarged the detent with a small round carbide burr in the dremel. The casting is pretty hard but carbide will cut it. Took a good bit out but didn't want to go too far. Figure if ya get even close to 1/2 the ball ya prolly never turn the lever or get it apart again. 😂 Now I gotta go do that one I took apart this morning. 🍻

Reactions: noah9988