How to pull a flywheel with stripped threads

Mootsman

Dec 30, 2007
Memphis, TN
Mods, if this is in the wrong area, I apologize...

This is a description of how to pull a flywheel at home when a flywheel puller won't work or your threads are stripped out in the flywheel. Sorry, I don't have pics, but I'll try to be clear.

Step 1:
Remove drivers (left) side engine cover and crankshaft nut and washer.
If the engine is still in the quad, you may have to turn the quad up on it's side to get the washer to slide off the crankshaft.

Step 2:
Locate the ring of rivets in the center of the flywheel that holds the two pieces together (the hub and the wheel).

Step 3:
In a space between the rivets at the centerline of the rivets, use a punch and a hammer to create an indention for a drill bit to start in. Do this again at 180 degrees from the first hole. At this point, you might be thinking--"Why can't I use the two holes on the outside of the flywheel?" There is at least twice as much material in the center of the flywheel where the hub mounts. This provides alot more depth for the threads to cut into...(read below)

Step 4:
Now, drill a hole that will allow you to use a 5/16" tap to thread it (I used a 1/4" bit). Do this for both sides. Be careful when drilling through and go slow. STOP the drill bit as soon as it cuts all the way through the flywheel You don't want to drill into any parts of the stator beyond.

Step 5:
Thread each hole with a 5/16" tap, being careful to thread the tap in straight.

Step 6:
Buy or rent (or get it out of your tool box) a steering wheel puller and thread two 5/16" holes into the holes you just made. Turn the center bolt until it contacts the end of the crankshaft, and then keep turning until it pulls the flywheel.

My flywheel was frozen on and my threads were stripped, AND I was out of welding rods, so this is the method I chose and it worked very well. I will try to get a picture of the drilled flywheel up this week.

You can use whatever size tap you need to...as long as it will accomodate the bolts that come with the steeing puller...I chose 5/16" because I had those with my puller.

NOTE: IF you are going to reuse the flywheel (which i doubt you will because it has stripped threads), you can always buy two set screws to fill the holes you drilled in the flywheel. Be sure to use loctite on the threads so they don't come flying off under high revs.

The steering wheel puller I used is available from Harbor Freight tools and you can usually catch it on sale for about $10.

Hope this helps some folks!

you can actually just remove the center nut on the flywheel and thread it back on just a couple threads, them apply pressure to each side underneath the flywheel with a screwdriver or prybar, then tap on the center nut with a mallet

thanks, the only reason i knew how to do it is because i didnt have a puller and i needed to get the flywheel off, so i made due

I thought about doing it that way, but every tap on a partially threaded nut, I end up with some thread damage.

Maybe I should tap SOFTER!

yea, i was worried about that to but i could of just retapped it if i needed

i just did 1 on a parts engine. i sanded out the raised spot on flywheel threads with a dremel and took a screwdriver and dug out the threads and fly wheel puller went right on

Reactions: ironhead
some one i know just made a tool that went in the 2 holes that were already there and it came out for him