how to get the flywheel off without the puller

ok.... pros? cons? you gonna shave it for me? lol gotta clean it afterwords too lmao

if your gonna cheap out on a 15 dollar tool you probably should not be wrenching on it. i am all about saving a $ but this is one place you need the right tool

yea i kno im ordering it now. how about lightend flywheel question? what are the pros and cons of it? "3rd time i asked"

yeah it can be made easily but si theres one thing you are taking for granted. not everybody has the same resouces and knowledge you do. i dont know the bud that needs the help personally but i usually give advice based on the people im helping not having the resources a lot of us have.
and si you ARE one smart motha fugga when it comes to all this shat! youve helped me a bunch before.

True, not everyone has the same toys...er I mean tools but I'm talking about using a hand drill and two wrenches. If he can't use those two tools, he has NO business in the stator cover....

Ok so question about a flywheel holder.... So im not weak but apparently not strong enough to hold the flywheel in place while I wrench on it, (no i dont have a proper holder either) and my impact gun is not here yet, I finally got the puller today just to find out I need a damn holder! So any other suggestions on what I mite be able to use???? Need to get this thing apart!!!!!

If it's still in frame put in gear and hold brake. If clutch cover is off put penny or rag between gears. Wrap chain on sprocket, put phillips driver thru chain close to sprocket, in gear. Or hold sprocket nut.

anyone know what the part # is for the oem tool? having a hard time pulling mine as well.

hey duder, i have an alternative for ya that wont damage anything .a strap wrench from craftsman
i just used one, takes a second to get it set right but it works like a champ. ps get a friend to help hold things.

how doe that work i have a strap wrench but i just dont see how it would pull the flywheel off. if u could describe how to hook it up and how it is gonna work would be greatly appreciated

You are not going to pull the flywheel off without a puller unless you are a butcher with 2 large screwdrivers and a FB Hammer.

The strap method is for holding the flywheel fast whilst removing the nut.

you definitely need the right tool to pull the flywheel off and the right tool to hold that flywheel to get the nut to turn. trying to hold that flywheel still by hand is near impossible. it is amazing how easy it comes off though with nothing holding the flywheel and just using an air impact wrench on the nut. it comes off in, oh, maybe one second.

There is a backyard method of removing the nut, which caused no drama, but you still need a tool to replace it.

Remove the spark plug so that the motor spins freely, place a well fitting socket on the nut and use a long breaker bar.

Place a lump of something hard to the right of the flywheel where the end of the breaker bar will foul it.

Swing the breaker bar quickly in a clockwise direction until the bar fouls the hard lump.

The bar will stop abruptly but the flywheel will want to continue to turn, resulting in the nut backing off due to rotational forces.

You may need a couple of swings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is another way which I have not used, and do not recommend.

Take the spark plug out and revolve the motor until the motor is at TDC this can be checked by feeling the piston with a bit of plastic fuel line.

Now rotate the motor in a clockwise direction about 30deg, this will bring the piston about a 1/3 way down the bore.

Feed as much poly rope down the spark plug hole that you can get to fit in.

When you now try to remove the nut the piston will try to compress the rope and become firm, stopping the motor revolving.

This method can be used to replace the nut, but of course the process must be done in reverse.

I do not like this method because I fear that it can stress the connection rod, and also if the piston goes further down the bore, lumps of rope can be pinched off if they enter an uncovered port, and the last thing you want is a lump of rope lurking in a port.:eek: