How to fix kill switch? Doesnt seem to work

S

SoloVRT61

I just picked up a 97 blaster and the kill switch does not seem to work..Id like to fix this so I can properly shut off my 4 wheeler. Can anybody shoot some info on how to go about this one?

Thanks
-Jon

its the stock kill switch, Everything looks hooked up to me..

I had the same problem.....i had another kill switch and it worked..but how it works is it grounds out to the handlebar, so if its doesn't have good contact it just will not work.

I had the same problem.....i had another kill switch and it worked..but how it works is it grounds out to the handlebar, so if its doesn't have good contact it just will not work.

When you say it grounds to the handle bars...is the ground connection coming from inside the switch housing when its clamped down to the handle bars itself?? I was thinking it might be the switch itself in my case too since the "Hi" setting on my light does not work..Only the "Low" setting works..so that might be a sign..

hi

Hi, I had the same problem with the first blater I had. It was a 1990 and when I bought it the kill switch never worked. Sometimes if you shut the key off it would spit and sputer and maybee shut off. I sold that one and got a 1994 blaster which I still have. Everything worked great when I got it but after going through mud and water the same thing happend but the key worked. So I used the hose to clean out the switch and the sprayed wd40 in there too. I think crap just gets in the switch and it does not get a good connection to ground.

Can anyone of you post a picture of the wiring connections coming off the kill switch..because it seems like there are 2-3 sniped wires under the little plastic nose\hood piece..and I am not sure if the kill switch wire is one of them..Also there is no key for my quad, I beleave the wiring is bypassed..which would acount for some of the cut wires..But if any pof you could show me what the kill switch wire looks like..so i can trace it and try to connect it..Stalling my quad out by putting it in gear and poping the clutch to shut it off is getting old..

Thanks

just get a tether switch....the stock switch fails ..ALOT...get a "pro design" and why not just turn your key off man? instead of stalling?...j/w..

I mentioned above that I do not have the key..I need to fix the oem kill switch for now..

oh, sorry man, i missed that, uhm, im not good with electric, so imma not say much more, i electrecute myself alot when i mess with elec lol

LOL i shocked my self already when an open wire on the blaster..but its nothing..

But if anybody can post a picture of the wire from the kill switch that i need to hook up si my switch works again it would really help me out..

Thanks..

i can look tmw on mine ill fallow the wires n do a walkthrough

i know this is an old post, but i had the same problem. i cleaned up the handlebar connections and it still didnt work. i took off the harness and took off the ground plate and off the run/off red stich. and found that the black plastic piece with the contacts that circuit the ground when in off was not touching the switch when its in the off position. i cleaned out the inside and took some krazy glue and glued it into the slot for it. now it works perfect.