HELP ME! Clutch or Gears?

xxmulvinxx

Apr 26, 2011
Michigan
i have a question on my 88 yamaha blaster. okay, ive heard many different peope give me many different answers, when i start it and engage the clutch, the shifter clicks as if first gear is ready but when i let off the clutch im still in nuetral so i have to keep trying until it actually goes, and my second and 3rd gear work just fine but my 4th is a different story. 4th gear used to work but would randomly spin freely and act as if it was in nuetral and the last time i was cruisin around in 4th it went to nuetral and now 4th no longer grabs at all. when the quads off, and i shift it into first and try to push it obviuosly it turns over the engine, but it still does it if i pull in the clutch. last summer i rode it after getting it from a family friends shop and i noticed the crank case was dripping and i was running on bearly any oil. please give me advice on what to do. i wanna ride man!

first thing to do is pull the clutch cover off and take a look at the gears. then take a bunch of pics for us to help you out

i will deffenitaly take the clutch cover off and post pictures, the quads not @ my house its at my grandfathers farm. im leaving for a cruise tomorrow. i trust u guys. this way i can txt u pics and call for help. i really wanna get this done so i can go rippin

Last edited:
Sounds like the cases are going to be split.

You can tackle the job yourself with some basic mechanic skills and a few special tools (plus some basic tools most mechanics will have handy). To do the job properly, you need a case splitter (but a harmonic balance puller and some custom bolts will do the job in a pinch), a flywheel puller (no replacement for this one you HAVE to have it or risk breaking the flywheel, case, or both), and a clutch holder/flywheel holder.

Remove your number, not just us look at this stuff!

Sounds like the cases are going to be split.

You can tackle the job yourself with some basic mechanic skills and a few special tools (plus some basic tools most mechanics will have handy). To do the job properly, you need a case splitter (but a harmonic balance puller and some custom bolts will do the job in a pinch), a flywheel puller (no replacement for this one you HAVE to have it or risk breaking the flywheel, case, or both), and a clutch holder/flywheel holder.

Remove your number, not just us look at this stuff!

thanks man, i removed it. will all of that stuff work even though its 249cc? (bigbore kit) FMF fatty gold series to a FMF powercore 2?

i'd take a hard look at the shift star before tearing into splitting the cases, i had sumthin similar happening to my '96, it wouldnt go into 3rd gear all the time, and would jump out when it did, a new shift star/shaft fixed it

^^^^^ it's possible there is something wrong with the shift shaft. Definitely something to look into when the clutch cover is off.

The tools are the same. I have a tusk flywheel puller, crankcase splitter, and flywheel removal tool. It think it ran me about $130for all of that. BUTTTTT, a dealership charges like $85/hr labor and they will charge more than 1.5 hours labor to rebuild a bottom end.

I would definitly go with the easy route. Star and shift shaft. These can be visually inspected with the cover off. I had shifting problems(no popping out), and it was all in the shift shaft. Small spring at the end that plays a big roll in shifting.

Have you done another oil change/have a magnetic plug? See any metal shavings? When in doubt, oil change it out. Running new oil for a bit(even 2-3 miles), and changing it(maybe a few times), can "help" you inspect the tranny inners. Keep getting metal shavings, might as well break the cases.

Pull the cover, inspect the star, and look at the shift shaft spring 1st(or bent shaft). Lets hope the problem lies there.