Head Light Burning out

sahunterfisher

Jan 1, 2013
I bought a used 2002 Yamaha blaster that needed a new bulb. I put a new bulb in and it burnt out within 10 minutes of riding. I tried this a couple more times and it kept burning out. I do not have a taillight so is it possible that it could be drawing to much volts to the to the headlight? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Reactions: Larry's Shee
sounds like you need a new voltage regulator
i'm sure one of the parts pimps on here has one for ya,
maybe one will chime in with an offer ?

Check to see if its wired to run both low and high at the same time. If it is, it could be blowing out do the the extra heat from both filaments running at the same time.

A lobe will only draw the current that it is designed to work at, the tail light issue has no affect on the headlight.

The voltage i possibly going over the desired level and causing the headlight to blow.

Replace the voltage reg.

I am also having a headlight issue. My headlight used to burn out after like 20 min. so I replaced the voltage regulator with a "Trail Tech AC Voltage Regulator" from Trail Tech AC Voltage Regulator | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

I measured the voltage at the light socket and it was ~ 11v when I revved it up in neutral. After putting a fresh 12v 45 watt bulb in it with the new regulator, the high beam burned out after maybe an hour or two... Does anybody know what could be causing this?

And the tail light hasn't burnt out yet.

An intermittent ground, or dirty connections to the head light can cause power surges.

11 volts is not enough, it should be closer to 14 volts, this is what makes me think of the poor ground.

Is the headlight mounted where it vibrates a lot, this too can cause filament failure.

I've used a dremal with small diamond bit (or any small stone/cutter) to clean female sockets. Males can be cleaned with fine sand paper/scotch brite pad.

Remove the grounds, make sure the metal is clean and back to bare, add some dilectric grease and replace.
I am only aware of the ground for the voltage regulator... Do you know off the top of your head where the others are?

I've used a dremal with small diamond bit (or any small stone/cutter) to clean female sockets. Males can be cleaned with fine sand paper/scotch brite pad.
Thanks. I'll have to go through them all and do that. And I'm guessing I should probably use dilectric grease on all these connections as well?

I haven't done much wiring, as I'm sure you've noticed by now 8-|.

Thanks for the information. It helps a lot.

I am only aware of the ground for the voltage regulator... Do you know off the top of your head where the others are?

Thanks. I'll have to go through them all and do that. And I'm guessing I should probably use dilectric grease on all these connections as well? "]

I haven't done much wiring, as I'm sure you've noticed by now 8-|.

Thanks for the information. It helps a lot.

Thinking like that earns you some GREEN !! Also clean bare metal @ coil mount +grease. Seems to me that the ground is at coil. Don't recall and blaster is far away.