dumb people

militaryblaster

Oct 30, 2008
St.Louis
I was looking on st.louis craigslist and there is a guy who wants to start a company re-manufacturing old 2-strokes from the ground up. This would be awesome but I dont see it happening. What do you think. Could it possibly be done. By the time you got all the parts you needed and put the work into builing something from the ground up you wouldnt be able to sell it for what you would want.

yes you could make money. there are always people that want custom stuff, but they dont want or know how to do it. how do you think custom car and motorcycle shops work? i know pleanty of people that would walk into a shop and buy a new rebuilt 2 stroke. they are becoming more and more rare, and just wait the value on all of them are doing to go up.

i know what you are thinking. parts. if they get a dealer account with different manufactures you get dealer cost. not what we would pay. you have to think of it like this. when you buy something at a shop, or store (unless they are giving you their dealer price) you are paying 25%-150% more then what they paid for the items you get.

for instance i just bought a holding clip and 2 bolts for the front sprocket for my wifes blaster. dealer cost was $0.30 for each bolt, and $1.00 for the holding clip. i paid $75.00 per bolt, and $3.50 for the holding clip. not to mention $5.00 for freight. so pretty much the shop i went to made $3.40 just to type the information into his computer, and call me when the parts come in.

i know it seems like they are not making that much money on an item for that, but think about when someone orders a-arms, a big bore kit.

bottom line is if you are doing good custom work people will buy it. im sure he would also rebuild a 2 stroke that you owned.

just look at Orange County Choppers, started in a garage. not they have $100,000 production bikes.

i think he will make a couple bucks, but hes nothing new, people rebuild these things all the time, but they are usually just collectors items, we are spoiled with these modern bikes, the old bikes just dont have it.
people say that older 2 strokes have a harder hit, but thats not true, almost 100% of the time, the newer the bike, the more power. the older bikes feel like they hit harder because the power is not spread enough, and the crappy suspension makes it feel rough

That stuff is true but I just dont see some guy that posted on craigslist looking for people to help him will make it. You never know though. I am kinda thinking about offering to help him with this.

I would do it, only if he backs everything. LOL. I mean look at it this way, if he has stuff to do it then it will work. If he has a powdercoater and can make the bike look clean for cheep then put a fat build on it I bet he could sell any blaster for $3000.00 or more depending. If you do the all the work yourslef your not paying labor so your going to make some decent money. especially if you are picking up bikes for $4-500. Put 1000 of custom motor work into it, and a few hundred into the body. I think its a good idea if you have the bank roll for it. But then again I would rather play poker with a fat bank roll.