Does This Sound Like A TORS Problem?

lknblaster

Nov 20, 2015
Hi there,

I purchased a 2003 the other day and the PO's explanation of the quad's problem was that it would start, but it wouldn't throttle up. I cleaned the carb, verified I had spark, put in some fresh pre-mix (pump eliminated) and it fired up to a steady idle after 3 kicks. Smoked like it's rich. Plug validated rich condition. Main is a 240.

However, when you give it any sort of throttle at all, 100% certain the slide is rising, it bogs immediately and fouls out. I have the TORS plugged in and I'm thinking that this is the problem.

Can you guys help me verify that this is most likely the issue or that this is a common symptom? I do plan on buying the kit to remove the tors, but I want to make sure I'm chasing one gremlin at a time.

To help, here is a video to help communicate what I'm seeing. Thanks!!

You don't need the kit to fix it to see if that's what is wrong. You need to cut and splice the TORS wires together anyway. Just twist them up start and and see if that fixed it if not you'll have to go from there.

Also unplug the parking brake if it isn't already. Follow the wires down to the first harness and undo it there.

It also will give you headaches, better to just do away with it now

Reactions: pudvah
Spliced the wires under the hood. No result. Spliced wires at the TORS, no result. Unplugged parking brake wires. VROOM!!!!!!

This FMF pipe makes it come alive. So excited to get in the mud. Thanks guys!!

Oh ya I never think of that cause my parking break was deleted when I got it. Glad you got it running. You NEED to do a leak test before riding so that you're not posting about a blown motor next. It did seem to smoke a lot in the video but that could very well just be because it sat for a little. Seals are very cheap top end jobs not so much.

Luckily the smoke you guys are seeing in that last video cleared way up immediately after I could get it to rev. Just for kicks, are the crank seals accessible from outside the case? Assuming so since it's a single cyl...? I just changed them on my IT175 so I'm hoping it's a similar process. Ended up using our wine opener :)

Here's a vid of the sound and smoking much less:

This FMF pipe makes it come alive. So excited to get in the mud. Thanks guys!!

has it been rejetted and plug chopped for the FMF ?
your excitement about it makes it sound like a new addition ?

AWK, it is new as of Friday. Had a 95 as a kid and saw this and couldn't pass it up. The FMF was on there when I got it Friday so I can't speak of the jetting this bike has undergone. I can say that it's running a 240 main jet, so maybe it was jetted up at some point since stock is 220 (or 230 heard some discrepancy on that). I'll need to do some plug chops but just needed to get it running this weekend first.

Pudvah, noted. Can you explain what about the pipe causes the need for the extra fuel by upjetting?

Awesome - I have some mikuni mains coming for another build so I'll grab some plugs and follow the instructions on the "plug chop" sticky.

Reactions: dirtysquared