dismantle the rotor assembly, help needed..

MRSTARK44

Jan 16, 2011
Hello, i am working on dissmantling my 96 blaster and have the top end off. I have the screw removed from the rotor assembly, but cant get the rotor asssembly itself off. I wanna remove the connecting rod, as it looks as if it has damage around the rod. I could move the connecting rod all around with the gears moving and what not, but once i got the nut off, it is making crunching sounds from the rotor assembly. its now seized up and i can't get the assembly off. whats going on???thanks for your help

are you talking about the flywheel? kinda hard to follow here. but if you are talking about the flywheel you will need a flywheel puller like 15 bux on ebay or at a dealer. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO TAKE THE FLYWHEEL OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is the opposite side of the crank case. its the goldish color wheel..with two holes on either side of the circular case.

it is called the rotor assembly when looking at the parts diagrams on powersedge, when looking at the generator.

its the ONLY way to get it off? does the took do something when goes into the two holes??? i can't beleive that its the ONLY way...

no it's a puller that screws into the flywheel threads and then has a center bolt that pushes against the crankshaft and pulls the flywheel off as you tighten the center bolt. if you don't believe that is the only way, have fun breakin your engine

the flywheel puller threads into the flywheel with a left handed thread, than the movable inside part is tightened which pushes off the shaft, therefore pulling the flywheel off, and it is necessary, i didnt need a flywheel holder, just an impact driver did the trick with a buddy holding the flywheel from spinning

the larger part has threads on the outside. they screw into the threads on the flywheel. if you look where the nut for the flywheel is in the center there are threads on the outer portion of the opening there. the screws on the face of the wheel don't need to be removed. those hold the magnets on. once you thread the puller into the flywheel youtighten the center nut to press against the crankshaft. as you tighten it pulls the flywheel up and off of the crank.

the larger part has threads on the outside. they screw into the threads on the flywheel. if you look where the nut for the flywheel is in the center there are threads on the outer portion of the opening there. the screws on the face of the wheel don't need to be removed. those hold the magnets on. once you thread the puller into the flywheel youtighten the center nut to press against the crankshaft. as you tighten it pulls the flywheel up and off of the crank.

whitty fast like ninja, you too slow young, i mean old padewan lol

I think im in trouble i was trying to remove the flywheel to change the lighting coil. I removed the cover, removed the nut and washer in the center. like an idiot o proceded to remove the screws along the outside edge of the flywheel turning it clockwise to get to each screw about the time i removed the last screw the flywheel stopped turning. im afraid ive really messed something up like the screws were holding the magnets in place and without a flywheel puller i cant get it off any way so im screwed please help me. what have i done?

I removed the screws on the outside of the flywheel rotating the flywheel clockwise to get to each screw when i removed the last screw the flywheel no longer rotates either way i just ordered the flywheel puller off ebay will i be able to replace the magnets once the flywheel is removed. i feel like i just ruined my machine just to get the headlight to work. Please help me it will be a couple of days of torture waiting for the puller to come.X(

You may have dumped the magnets into the stator cavity.

When you get the puller and break the seal on the taper gently turn and jiggle the flywheel in both directions as you remove it.

The idea is to keep the magnets from grabbing and jamming.

If you have problems getting the flywheel off t may pay to tip the bike on its side, flywheel up and try again.

I think im in trouble i was trying to remove the flywheel to change the lighting coil. I removed the cover, removed the nut and washer in the center. like an idiot o proceded to remove the screws along the outside edge of the flywheel turning it clockwise to get to each screw about the time i removed the last screw the flywheel stopped turning. im afraid ive really messed something up like the screws were holding the magnets in place and without a flywheel puller i cant get it off any way so im screwed please help me. what have i done?

YIKES! Ya know if ya would of had this - YFS200 Service Repair Manual (LIT-11616-07-20) - 1988-2006 and read the disassembly part could of saved ya the problem! make sure you locktight those small screw back on and hopefully the magnets didn't fall off, if so I'd just get a whole new/used flywheel.

I have one if you need to go that route! $30 shipped

Last edited by a moderator:
im going to attempt to remove the flywheel as "blaaster" discribed. ill definitely be taking u up on the $30 shipped. im trying to get the headlight working and ive created a bigger prob in the proces.

If indeed the magnets have come off the flywheel you will have to make very sure that the flywheel does not revolve when you attempt to remove it with the puller.

Make very sure that the wrench on the part of the puller that screws into the flywheel has a sure and fast hold on the hex.

Use the longest wrench possible and if you can extend it some by locking another wrench on, or with a piece of pipe, it will help it not to revolve.

I actually was turning the flywheel clockwise to get to each screw when i removed the last screw it stopped rotating like the magnets had bound it up. is this bad? my only hope is that i can remove the flywheel with the puller that i should have in a few days. and reinstall the magnets undamaged. unless by rotating the flywheel to remove the magnet screws has don ireversable damage. what do u think are my chances? am i going to be buying that used flywheel from "slickerthanyou"