CR 80 with 125 motor

92blaster

Jan 18, 2009
Red Wing, MN
Well i havent seen anybody on here yet with a 125 motor in their 80 so i figured i would show how mine turns out so maybe someone would want to do the same thing.. well heres what im gonna use for the swap a 1989 Honda CR 80 frame (got complete bike for $250) and for the motor it will be a 1982 Suzuki RM 125 (got complete bike for $250) so this will be a relativly cheap project i have a deadline of 6-7 weeks as this is a school project so you should see results in the next month.. (pictures tomarro) i got the 125 running today so before i tear the motor out i have one question on lighning up the motor in the new frame.. i know you dont want it to sit to low in the frame or to high.. how do i measure this angle the motor is at currently????

cr 80.jpg

rm 125.jpg

here they are the cr80 had a shattered piston and the rm i found for cheap enough i wanted yamaha but nobody seems to sell them cheaply

id just measure on the suzuki the distance from the frame to certain spots u will remember and c if u can get it to fit in the cr that way with the measurments increased or deacresed but keeping all the measurments in sinc idk another word with the measurment moved, in other words if u have to move one measurment move them all to compensate for it

well i got the swingarm in today only had to cut one side of the swingarm.. i see one major problem though i wont be able to put an air filter on the carb i planed on using a uni clamp on but there is not enough room between the carb and the shock.. hopefully when i get the bottom mounts cut out and in the right spot i could squezze 2 more inches right now i maybe have an inch

I've seen this done to an 85 before using a cr 125 motor, it was much newer though. I can tell this project is gonna turn out awesome!

hey thanks i hope it does to with how well this is going so far i should have it done this month.. and i wanted a 85 but they were expensive still with junk motors so next year hopefully i will be putting a big wheel kit on it and the better 98 or whatever year they started the big tube front shocks and the non rezzie rear shock but thats only if i do well this year racing the q-racer

the 82 125s go pretty good it was suzukis best 125 untill 2002 but the 82s have a wickd braaaappp to them my nephews has never blown n is runing the origanal piston with 119psi of compession n it carts his 200lbs ass around lol

hmm im not a big fan of the sound haha its kinda low.. but i hit a big snag the frame cradel is not big enough to fit the motor in so im gonna cut the old frame cradel out of the RM and just bolt it on the 125 motor bolt the motor to the swingarm and set the motor to 0 degress and weld the cradel in the easiest way i could think of how to do this.. ill get new pictures when i get the 9/32 drill bit i need to drill the frame out

yep i got the drill bit drilled the frame out and then tried the sleeves for the swingarm well they are hardened so i need a way to make them bigger any ideas anyone?? also got the frame cradels cut out of both got the motor put in with the 125s frame rails connected to it one more problem is the front part of the rails to the front tire cannot be pulled into the frame because it hits the radiator so im on the hunt for some square tubing to cut one side off ill get pictures of my idea and ill take one of it in the frame.. the rear part of the rails have to be pulled in and welded.. should have it done next weekend.. then need a rear sprocket since the 125 runs a 520 chain and 80 uses 420 so i need a sprocket out of a 125 i asked cfed waiting for answer to get his. after i get that squared away i need to find away to get a filter on this since the carb sits so close the shock that a clamp on is still to big so one more big problem then cut the pipe up and get it on..... so alot of problems i hit but i need this done soon the winter carnival is in january and i want to get this bike out there so i hope..

i was thinking about that already and it would take a 90 degree bend im pretty sure that wouldnt work either ill take a picture 2marro to show how close they are... my problem im trying to solve now is the rear sprocket i talk to cfed and i can already tell its gonna be to big there is not alot of room on the swingarm to fit a bigger sprocket.. so ill get some more info for you guys 2marro

what about making a90 degree bend and have the carb sit facing the side? ya know.. like towards the outside of the bike than run a uni clamp on on that...

i pmed you bacvk.. ill messure tommrow but my cr stuff run a 520 112 chain

and if you need anything else off my cr125 that will work on your project let me know, i can beat any price you find on ebay for parts on my bike

thats what i was thinking ^^^ but not run it outside the bike there is enough room to tuck it behind the shock since the shock sits so off to the right.. well took a look at my quadracers sprocket and it looks like its small enough to clear the swingarm it has a 4 bolt pattern but i would have to drill new holes for it farther apart.. im gonna talk to tag or supersprox to see if they would make me a custom sprocket.. sorry no pics tonight soon though

1206091812.jpg

here is some mesurements.. the carb inlet is 2 1/2 inches around and between the carb and the shock there is 1 1/2 of room is that enough to get a 90 in there??? sorry picture is crappy