Clutch

swampgator

Jun 24, 2012
Hi guys and girls, I'm new to posting on here. I have gathered a ton of awesome info on how to work on my bike. I have a 1996 blaster, vitos 240 bore, and finally had to rebuild the top end. I did my heat cycles leak down tests. And got to ride it this weekend for about five minutes and exploded the clutch cages and the gear has lost three teeth. What do you recommend for a new set up. Thanks

I've seen this happen a bunch of times. You don't have an option for the gear but Hinson and Wiseco offer billet, replacement baskets. Pick up a used primary and upgrade it to a billet basket.

Any ideas on why this happens. Just interested in info about it. You tips to make it not happen.

Any ideas on why this happens. Just interested in info about it. You tips to make it not happen.

The gear is riveted to OEM baskets , the rivets work loose until it fails, extra powaa speeds up the process.

the gear gets bolted to aftermarket baskets

I used a Magnum PE billet basket if you can find one to save a few $,
Driveline Performance HD240 clutch kit,
and spend the extra $30 sum and get a new inner hub too.
as mentioned, you'll need to source a good used OEM basket for the gear

Reactions: Markblaster
The gear is riveted to OEM baskets , the rivets work loose until it fails, extra powaa speeds up the process.

the gear gets bolted to aftermarket baskets

I used a Magnum PE billet basket if you can find one to save a few $,
Driveline Performance HD240 clutch kit,
and spend the extra $30 sum and get a new inner hub too.
as mentioned, you'll need to source a good used OEM basket for the gear

This is great info. I was a happy guy when it wasn't internal in the engine. This has been a project for me for three years. And I spent 2 years finding a good machinist to bore and hone my block. At this point the clutchuch and parts won't be cheap but can be fixed quickly.