Clutch install

slimeee

Jun 28, 2014
Got a vitos clutch kit and installed friction plates and steels. Left off the judder spring and plate with bigger diameter. Went to push the actuator down after all installed and the clutch boss is not moving. The gear behind clutch basket is not releasing or moving at all, Actuator will push rod out but wont push at all with plates and friction plate plus springs on. I try to pull tje clutch boss ouy by hand and it wont budge. Shouldnt i be able to pull the boss by hand and have it move away from tje drive gear? Will not having the judder spring and extra friction plate that houses the spring cause this?

Is the ball between the rods?

Not really sure it didnt drop out. I initially thought the clutch was stuck from the plates beimg glued from sitting. They were really bad so bought new clutch kit and still same problem. When i push actuator with the friction plate and discs out it moves tje rod in and out bit when i put plates in and springs it doesnt move at all feels like the rod is just hitting something, Boss does not move out of gear even when pulling by hand. Gonna have to tear into it further although i didny want to. Want to replace the seals anyway. Shouldnt i be able to pull tje boss out of gear by hand?

Not really sure it didnt drop out. I initially thought the clutch was stuck from the plates beimg glued from sitting. They were really bad so bought new clutch kit and still same problem. When i push actuator with the friction plate and discs out it moves tje rod in and out bit when i put plates in and springs it doesnt move at all feels like the rod is just hitting something, Boss does not move out of gear even when pulling by hand. Gonna have to tear into it further although i didny want to. Want to replace the seals anyway. Shouldnt i be able to pull tje boss out of gear by hand?
Do i need the judder spring and extra plate that houses it?

What is the "judder spring"

If you are trying to disengage the clutch by handwith just the arm thatgoes into the case, it ain't going to happen.
You don't have the leverage atthat point.

the clutch basket and inner boss do not move, if thats what you're saying ?
only the pressure plate moves out just enuf to relieve prssure off the plates/steels.

did you install a full fiber in place of the spring and extra fiber left out ?

Basically i just installed the vitos plates 6 fibers and.6 steels. On the stock setup there was a big metal wavy ring that sat inside another friction plate with a bigger diameter to house the wavy ring (judder spring). Watched ken oconnor video and he leaves them out. So right now i have just 6 fibers and six steels. I think i just need to adjust the actuator with the rod. When i push the actuator i should just see the plates move?

Replace the judder spring and larger ID fiber plate with one of your old fiber plates. You should have 7 fiber plates and 6 steel plates. The steel plates have a sharp edge on one side and a rounded edge on the other. Make sure all of the steel plates are facing the same way ( up or down) and stagger the nubs to reduce vibration. If you run into trouble, you can give me a call and I'll set you straight.

www.kenoconnorracing.com

Reactions: slimeee
Hey ken I installed everything the way you suggested on your blaster rebuild vids, but i left out the 7th fiber. So I should just reuse an older fiber in place of the judder spring? Should I not use the fiber with the bigger diameter as the 7th fiber that replaces tje judder spring. Hope this thing doesnt drive in reverse only when im done. Lol.

Hey ken I installed everything the way you suggested on your blaster rebuild vids, but i left out the 7th fiber. So I should just reuse an older fiber in place of the judder spring? Should I not use the fiber with the bigger diameter as the 7th fiber that replaces tje judder spring. Hope this thing doesnt drive in reverse only when im done. Lol.
Believe you me, and you may think that I speak in jest, but it has been known for a 2 stroke to run in reverse!

The only reason I don't use the spring and the odd plate is I get more surface area with 7 full size fibers. There's no harm running the stock set up with the large ID plate and spring.

The only reason I don't use the spring and the odd plate is I get more surface area with 7 full size fibers. There's no harm running the stock set up with the large ID plate and spring.
Ken can I put the older fiber plate the 7th as the last plate before prrssure plate. So ill have two fiber plates as the last 2 fibers?

Im getting plenty of movement with the clutch plates out. Not much withe em in think i just need to re adjust and im turning the actuator with my finger so not much leverage there.

On a different note three of my clutch cover bolts are stripped but no fluid coming out when running. And its smokimg like crazy but top end not broke in yet and have yamaha 2 r mixed 24 to 1