clutch adjustment

Alex29573

Jul 5, 2009
hey guys when i pull my clutch lever in my atv still moves forward very slowly. I also noticed that its hard to put it in neutral b/c its as if i werent touching the clutch...

i cant get it right by adjusting the cable by the handlebar. My question is when i take the cover off, do i go clockwise or counterclockwise on the screw for the pressure plate?

here we go again, lucky im just copy and pastin this...............
it took me 4 or 5 times to get this right, very frustrating,
do all this with the cable disconnected at the hand lever so it doesnt effect the internal adjustment,
open her up, again!!!, loosen the locknut and screw, back it out a little, (the adjustment shaft in the middle of the clutch basket)
then where the cable connects to the motor lever,theres a notch that lines up, look on the engine lever for the little point and a mark on the case, line these up, make sure it doesnt move while adjusting, a freind would be good here,
then move to the other side, tighten the rod in with a small straight screwdriver till you feel it touch, then i think i read somewhere to back it off 1/2 a turn,then tighten the locknut, <<<<definately use locktite here, mine almost came loose, and thats disaster,
then reconnect the cable to the hand lever, and adjust your slack
i also did this with the wheels off the ground, so i could spin them with the clutch lever pulled in,to see if the wheels spun free, or if there was engine lag as i released it, before i put it all back together

thats how i did it the first time.
i put in a new clutch basket, inner hub, pressure plate, clutch...

so im guessing i just need like 1/2 a turn clockwise or counter clockwise to stop it from creeping forward.. but which way?

You need to tighten it with the pointer on that mark, no backing it up or anything. Put it on the mark, tighten it down, put the cover back on ,,,after you make sure nothing is binding your pressure plate springs too. Found someone using the wrong washer/bolts and it did a similar thing.

i traded my 1986 trx200sx for a 1998 Yamaha blaster , the only problem was this was this. i tried adjustin the screw and made sure the clutch was replaced right and i can still not get it to work. the engine starts first kick, when i pull in the clutch and put it gear . it lunges foward and dies.

i traded my 1986 trx200sx for a 1998 Yamaha blaster , the only problem was this was this. i tried adjustin the screw and made sure the clutch was replaced right and i can still not get it to work. the engine starts first kick, when i pull in the clutch and put it gear . it lunges foward and dies.

replied in your other thread w/ vid links, but read my post above anyway

I don't think he put new plates in. You bought it that way right? Might be missing the conical washer or another washer. What kind of oil did you put back in it after removing the cover?

Yup he said it in post #3. I'm still tired from putting that freakin well pump in!!!!

Like Woodrow said give it some gas and put it in gear. As it's idling in neutral squeeze the clutch in about 10 times, give it a little gas and put it in first gear.