Cheap Chinese carb w/ 36" cable

MrBank

Aug 9, 2024
I managed to pick up a clean little 2001 for $800. Gave it to my son for his birthday. The owner couldn't figure out the electrical. It had no spark & the owner was convinced that was the only problem. I rewired the entire harness one evening & everything now works great. However, it did have a no-name carb on it & it is definelty causing issues. I pulled it, cleaned it, looked for jet sizes but nothing is stamped. Installed a thumb throttle, but the cable end is way too big to work with the no-name carb. So out of frustration I left it alone for a week or so. During that time, my father decided he would order a new carb "for a Yamaha Blaster" that already has the cable connected to the carb. That carb is also nameless. My question is pretty simple - Do any of these cheap, knock-off carbs ever work properly? Are there modifications or repairable issues that could leave you with a functioning carburetor? I am wondering if there is any point in trying the "new" carb, or if it is a known fact that they will never perform properly. If they are a lost cause, where would you recommend purchasing a legit carburetor from? FYI-Pro Circuit pipe & silencer, mild trail port, reeds & spacer, no airbox- Uni pod filter direct to carb. Elevation- 5500 feet. Any suggestions are appreciated.