chain popped off...wierd.......

pringle9666

Nov 13, 2011
hey guys, new here and to blasters. i shifted 1st to 2nd today and the chain popped off and got sucked b/w the front sprocket and chain guide thing?!?! any idea how to get that chain guide out so i can get the damn chain back on? thank you in advance.

my old 96 used to do that, sometimes in the middle of the mountain at 3am.
i would stand it on it's ass, have my buddies hold onto it while i used a big log to rip it out of there
seems besides the obvious ...chain and sprockets were shot, the white swinger chain guide was worn beyond it's life, thats what allows enuf room for the chain to go up in there, replace that white roller and it won't
but i'd guess the chain and sprockets are worn too
nowadays i keep fresh sprockets and a new chain every riding season and have yet to pop a chain off

my suggestion to you now is to remove the swingarm pivot bolt, the big one that runs side to side thru the back of the motor, allowing the swingarm to move enuf to get the chain out
then replace the chain guide roller while you have it that far, and chain/sprockets too
before you bust an engine case

theres 2 bolts on a chain guid it bolts to the swingarm .. if its bad take ur sprocket off too theres two more bolts there .. its ur best bet . then when u re install use some med threadlock on sprocket bolts for extra protection from them vib loose dont over tighten or snapppppp... put ur chain back on and adjust ur tension on ur chain prolly was to loose.. there two tensioners bolted to the carrier loosen the two 14 mm bolds on the carrier then losen lock nuts on the chain tensioners and do equal turns in on each one till u have the proper tension take into factor that when u sit on ur bike it gets tighter too so dont go crazy or snapp again this time the chain brakes .. hope i helped any .. good luckif its stuck bad in there lube it up good and tugg till its free

The chain guide I'm referring to is the round one at the swinger pivot, not the bolt on one at the rear sprocket

thanks a lot guys. i got it last night. i took the primary cover off and took off the front sprocket. i also figured out the chain tensioning ordeal. lol. the front guide thats on the swing arm however is really warn, but is that all one bolt that runs straight through both sides of the quad? do you just take the nut off and beat it out? it doesnt back out... hmmm

Yup its just one bolt all the way through, and if it has been in there for a while it may be a swine to beat out.

It is one bolt and NO do not beat it out! I found it comes out easier if ya have someone lift up the ass just a bit (not the wheels off the ground) to take the tension off of it then it should come out with a tap of a screwdriver. That is unless it's never been apart and siezed up. Then you may have to use a block of wood to get it started.