Carb questions

03blasta

Nov 6, 2012
Wisconsin
Hey guys I pulled the carb on my currently disabled blaster yesterday. I thoroughly cleaned the whole carb inside and out and inspected the floats and jets. The floats were good as were the jets other than a tiny bit of blockage in the pilot. I got that taken care of I just have a couple questions... First I have a 230 main and a 32.5 pilot. I'm currently running a k&n air filter and my cylinder got bored 30 over so do I need to jet for the bore or just the k&n? Or both? Also I have kind of a dumb question what is that square like thing that sits on top off the carb where you screw it in just curious. Thanks ur help is greatly appreciatedI:I

You may need to go up one size on the main for the filter but it would probably be ok as long as you leave the air box lid on. The pilot should be fine also and the box on top of the carb is the TORS system. It's a safety feature that shuts the engine off if the throttle gets stuck open.

Thanks man so what ur saying is I don't have to jet for the 30 over bore? I should just go up 1 jet size for the k&n and call it good? Also main jets go up by ten right so I would want a 240 main??? I thought that thing was tors haha

30 oversize increases the displacement very little and no jetting changes are needed.

#240 main will be fine as long as there are no other mods than the air cleaner.

Was the motor leak tested after rebuild?

The top end still hasn't been put together so no leak test as of right now we are gonna do one more thorough cleaning of the crank area to try to get as much of the piston shrapnel out as possible before we install the head we probably won't split the cases or anything too in depth unless there is an air leak down there anyway so we will see I guess

I might suggest doing crank seals since the motor is out. I know its extra work but ur more than half way there and they do go on two strokes. Just an idea, if was mine i would do it.also they sell a removal kit for the tors as u r prob aware of. Good luck

The top end still hasn't been put together so no leak test as of right now we are gonna do one more thorough cleaning of the crank area to try to get as much of the piston shrapnel out as possible before we install the head we probably won't split the cases or anything too in depth unless there is an air leak down there anyway so we will see I guess

I hate to inform you that you will not get all of the shrapnel out of the crankcase.

There is most certainly very little bits of piston lurking in a bearing, and no amount of flushing is going to get them out.

Flushing and blowing often causes the shrapnel to get in even deeper.

Spilt the cases and fully clean/replace bearings.

A fragment of piston smaller than the head of a pin can cause the rapid demise of a motor.