blaster timing

Mudgy #79

Mar 28, 2010
I have a 94 blaster with 35 mm flat slide kein Carb,4 mm stroker crank, full fmf fatty exhaust, ported cylinder and bored 2 mm over stock bore, I'm makeing 175 Psi what should I do with the timing I'm going to run flat track with it. I lowered it and widened it with a banshee rear and front end along with the steering stem I've already rode it and it seems to run rich and doesn't pick up the Rpms really quick it has a lag at first

Play around with the jetting a bit that could cause the lag, are the reeds stock? get a V force set up that will really increase the throttle response
My builder told me not to advance the timing with that amount of work done

your builder is the only one who recommends not advancing the timing, that could be because it may expose the pipe he recommends as not being for a builf bike, just "the best" for a stock motor????
i dont know, i'd like to know his theory on that
but my builder and a host of others recommend doing the timing advance, it really wakes up the bottom end, i myself went with a hotshot cdi box, that supposedly advances the timing electronically
but havent run enuf to tell a difference yet, and whether it should be mixed with the diy advance
my suggestion would be to try a better pipe, the fmf is ok, but there are better ones out there

Last edited:
Well one of his reasons is that its not really needed, plus he has done tons of research on blasters so i trust what he says. Like when i asked him about lightening the flywheel he said it makes it a ticking time bomb

i agree on the lightened flywheel, and alot of stuff he suggests work with his style of porting and the pipe he choses to endorse, but will/will not work for everyone