2003 Blaster ATV Locked up

Tom Reed

Apr 30, 2020
ATV set for two years unused, tried to kick start it and the kick starter wouldn’t move. Transmission shifts but won’t rotate if I pull the bike. Took the head off and cylinder, it’s tight but will move. Still locked up though, any ideas? Factory stocked never been apart except to replace ignition coils.

ATV set for two years unused, tried to kick start it and the kick starter wouldn’t move. Transmission shifts but won’t rotate if I pull the bike. Took the head off and cylinder, it’s tight but will move. Still locked up though, any ideas? Factory stocked never been apart except to replace ignition coils.
If it's just the kicker that's stuck, take off your clutch cover and see if the kicker spring broke.
If it's not, see if you can spin the tires in 1st or 2nd gear and see if the crank moves up and down as normal.

See you had flywheel. Off..maybe lost a magnet. Pull flywheel and see if it turns over.did water get down exhaust?washed before parked? Could be a bearing

If it's just the kicker that's stuck, take off your clutch cover and see if the kicker spring broke.
If it's not, see if you can spin the tires in 1st or 2nd gear and see if the crank moves up and down as normal.

i tried to pull start it with another ATV, the engine seems locked up, but the piston wasn’t. I pulled the top end because Inwas sure that was the problem. I will look into the kick starter spring today.

See you had flywheel. Off..maybe lost a magnet. Pull flywheel and see if it turns over.did water get down exhaust?washed before parked? Could be a bearing
I will also look at that today as well. I drained the oil and there was no moisture in the oil.

i tried to pull start it with another ATV, the engine seems locked up, but the piston wasn’t. I pulled the top end because Inwas sure that was the problem. I will look into the kick starter spring today.
I will also look at that today as well. I drained the oil and there was no moisture in the oil.
Could be the crank bearings. If water got in crank area. is the atv in nuetral?and will it roll? If so then the counter shaft is turning also.. Need to figure out if its in the trans area or crank.. Get some ziplock bags. Pull off kicker. Then clutch cover.put all bolts in. Bags labeled for what they are for. Then i believe you can take nut off primary drive gear.which is the small gear on the crank shaft towards front of atv.remove small gear only but leave keyway in place. This will separate crank from tranny.the bigger gear behind it is the balance shaft.dont worry about that now. With stator cover off other side you should be able to just turn the crankshaft. If it doesn't turn then your problem is in crank area. Think i got a blister from writing all that:eek:

Reactions: Tom Reed