1st time owner/rebuilder

quadrockin

Sep 22, 2008
SSP, MN
Hey Im Brittany. I just bought a 02 yamaha blaster. Its my first wheeler. I boiught it on saturday and went out wheeling on sunday. Well Sunday we rode for like an hour total and i was on it and went to turn and a big white/blue puff of smoke came out the side of the motor. I shut it off as soon as i noticed the smoke and we couldnt get it started again. We tried a new plug and that wasnt it. We went to our shop and tested for spark and compression and it had it so we tore the motor apart and i shattered my piston. So I am attempting to rebuild this thing. In the process of waiting for parts i figured i got 2 weeks and we started painting it. Yay! thats my story haha. Now I do have a couple of questions.
1) How well does plastic paint work?.... Its just temp til i can save up for black plastics
2) Any tips on the project?

Thanks guys I:I
Brit

dont paint your plastics it will wear off very quick. even with plastic paint. the only way you could paint you fenders would be with automotive sprayer type painters.you know what im talking about.
Also i would suggest getting your frame sandblasted and powder coated.

the plastic paint will work fine if you clean it up and sand it right. wash them with soad and water. sand them with like 800-1000 grit sand paper. then wash then with soap and water again. then do a final wipe down with some acitone. should come out good. remeber tak eyour time, dont work.

for the metal sack up spend the money and powder coat everything. it may bite you in the ass now, but in the end it will still be looking godd a year from now, where if you painted it, you would notice wear after 1 to 2 rides.

as far as the rebuild on the top end goes. why not send it to flotek for a port and polish. it will only run you about $180.00 including shipping. that is your best bang for your buck.

there are always things like reeds, pipes, and different air filters as bolt on that will wake up your blaster.

How did you blow your piston after riding your quad for only 1 hr? Did you forget oil in the oil tank or are you running a block off kit and you ran straight gas? That would be a good thing to figgure out before you spend the money to rebuild it then just blow it up again.

Yea, I ended up spending about 50 dollars in spray paint and did it this last weekend, I do realize it is all going to wear off but hey, i learned alot and had a blast doing it. How do I post pics on here so i can show ya guys how it looks. I found out my cylinder is bored 20 over so what does that make it is it a 220 now? im sorry im NEW to this hehe. I shattered the piston skirt into like 100 pieces. I also think that was my fault cuz i had never drove a clutch before. I think i was over reving the hell out of it. Where we were riding was nothing but hills and i was climbing steep ass hills in 1st or 2nd gear. and i was told (after the fact) to shift when the engine goes nenenenenennene lol. My friend bought a 87 warrior and he was teaching me how to ride his this weekend so i think i got a lot better cuz it lasted more than a day haha. well thanks for all the replys and i will for sure log onto this thing some more. I got busy with the wheeler haha. I got a wiesco piston is that pretty decent? and i got all new gaskets. I had a friend look at the cylinder and he said it didnt look like i hurt it any. Well thanks again...
Britt

Hey, I got it started :) we cleaned everything up and it looks sweet and runs!!! it is kinda reving really high at an idle is that just because the new stuff? I am so going to post pics tonight but we are going to eat so i will be back and post them all tonight :) thanks for all your help guys :)
~Brit

well im sure your gonna have to adjust the idle, and dont forget to brake it in correctly or all your work is gonna be for nothing. there is a DIY thread on how to break it in. good work now lets see some pictures!

Adjust the idle as stated above^ but make sure its jetted to the pipe. If it still idles high after adjusting check for air leaks.

Yea, we adjusted the trottle and it slowed way down. I went to a buddys house to ride last night and i went to shift to second and my front tires came off the ground. SCARY lol. Im still getting used to it. I am going to read the tread about breaking them in cuz i want to go up to millacs and ride trails all weekend. But i do know to take it easy. Thanks for everything. I will post pics prolly tonight or sunday night. Thanks guys.~ Brittany