1998 blaster rebuild

eyeneversleep

May 13, 2011
Picked the blaster up today. Needs alot of cleaning and work. Only thing Im really not happy with is the front bumper. I guess im going to re weld it and clean it up from the sh*t welds that was put on there.Gonna start tearing it apart tonight. Gonna replace alot of stuff, repaint alot of stuff, new plastics, and rebuild the motor. They guy said the motors stock but from seeing all the stickers I hope some of them parts are in it ha. Here is some pics before the tear down.

5788238606_dc04f551df_z.jpg

5787673159_380329d4be_z.jpg

5787670841_d34d85287b_z.jpg

5787681337_6b4acb7e4f_z.jpg

5788231590_90d5de428e_z.jpg

5787674321_03a173d937_z.jpg

5788236156_b9603002f7_z.jpg

5788232662_0bf2c82481_z.jpg

5787677945_ec9d27ed4f_z.jpg

Me and my brother started taking it apart tonight. Gonna finish the tear down tomorrow and pull the motor. Cleaned a space in the shop ( its got ac ha ) Took a few pics too. Was also wondering if the rear shock is stock ? I noticed the fronts are black and the rear is red.

5789267576_ed0173510c_z.jpg

5788712853_8d5266c3b5_z.jpg

5788711861_9b14087069_z.jpg

5789268588_a741cd1889_z.jpg

looks like a great start any aftermarket parts or motor work goin on or just a take apart clean/paint?

Not really sure yet. The guy said it needs a coil to start. But I wanna go ahead and pull the motor and clean it. New gaskets and all. Thinking of a port and polish. I hope nothings really messed up on the inside.

Blacked out everything with new white plastics and a new black seat ha. Since I wanna get it back together asap Im gonna run the plastics and seat it has now since my cash flow is very limited though ha. Since it has that confederate seat me and my bro are thinking of painting the old plastics orange like the general lee haha

The front shocks are old banshee shocks. They're not progressively wound so they're j-arm vintage.

Nice 400EX rear shock.

If I were you, I would find someone else local with a blaster and try to mimic the mounting backet for the stock front bumper and then remake that aftermarket front bumper you have to match. That way you're not stuck with a one-off if you bend your bumper.

Go to the general support section of the forum and click on the downloadable yamaha blaster factory service manual. Save it to your computer and then you have a manual! Go through the electrical troubleshooting section step-by-step to figure out if you have a bad CDI or not. It could be as simple as a poor ground or the TORS system acting up.

So the super important question is, How much?

I got it for 300. Pretty happy with seeing that I'm finding all these parts on it so far ha. I just hope nothings super wrong with the motor. We are gonna pull it tonight cause I still wanna go ahead and put a gasket kit and everything on it. Maybe a port and polish.

$300 is a good price. It already has a few goodies (upgrades) making it worth at least that in parts.

The bolt in the middle of the two weld spots is the factory bumper mount along with the two holes under the front corners of the frame. If you're going to reconstruct that bumper to match blaster dimensions, use them.

Download the factory service manual from the "general support" section and tear into that motor. Check all of the electronics as you go and make sure everything is working properly.

Yeah I figured. Im gonna order Cometic complete gasket kit, rick's ignition coil, and a new air filter. Anything I should go ahead and replace ? Want be home tonight so tomorrow I will pull the motor out.

I was also wondering what to do about the front brakes. The old owner pulled most of the front brake stuff off. Including the hand lever and all. Do people run without fronts ?

I was also wondering what to do about the front brakes. The old owner pulled most of the front brake stuff off. Including the hand lever and all. Do people run without fronts ?

Best option is to convert to Hydraulic brakes front and rear. Norman420 sells the spindles you need to convert the fronts and AWK08 sells a rear setup using GSXR parts. The other option is to go with the stock cable stuff but you will spend nearly as much and have inferior brakes.