Carb to Throttle Questions

EZRider76

Feb 23, 2012
WNY
Hello again All. Ok, so I picked up a thumb throttle and went to install it tonight and I ran into a problem at the carb....of course. Anyhow, the button on the end of the cable is too big for the "clip" on the slide, the end of the cable that goes into the top of the carb is threaded where the carb cap is not. So, my question(s) is/are this. Being a 38mm Mikuni carb, is there a simple cap replacement? Is there a different clip configuration that I can pickup for the carb slide? Or could I maybe just dremel it out a bit to work? See pics below.
0404122137.jpg

Carb Slide and the clip for the end of the cable.
0404122135.jpg

Thumb Throttle Cable End. Any idea the size of the thread? Just in case I can replace the cap.
0404122136.jpg

Carb Cap, unthreaded.

Any help you fellas can throw my way, again, as always, GREAT appreciated.

I'm not too sure about a new clip but you can always thread your cap with a tap since there is already a hole to work with, and yes there are replacement caps it's the TORS eliminator cap you can get from vitos performance, project blaster, eBay, etc... And I don't see why you couldn't use a dremel with a tiny tapered bit to get your cable in it. Just be careful and make sure you use lubrication of some sort so you can keep the metal shavings/slivers to a minimal, and when finished boring the clip out make sure you Clean it out throughly so you don't damage your carb or worst case scenario motor! Good luck and welcome to the forum

Reactions: EZRider76
I'm not too sure about a new clip but you can always thread your cap with a tap since there is already a hole to work with, and yes there are replacement caps it's the TORS eliminator cap you can get from vitos performance, project blaster, eBay, etc... And I don't see why you couldn't use a dremel with a tiny tapered bit to get your cable in it. Just be careful and make sure you use lubrication of some sort so you can keep the metal shavings/slivers to a minimal, and when finished boring the clip out make sure you Clean it out throughly so you don't damage your carb or worst case scenario motor! Good luck and welcome to the forum

Right, forgot about the TORS replacement caps. Unforunately, the boss on the top of the cap and the threads on the insert of the cable are the same OD. So I would have to drill out the entire boss and then tap what is left...not very much material is left. :( Anyhow, looking into the replacement cap. Is there any difference in the threads on the top of the carbs or are they all pretty standard? I'm talking about the threads that the cap screw onto, and any difference between Mikuni Carbs or other carbs. Thanks.

I don't know 100% for sure but my guess is they would be standard since they sell a variety of different size/style/brands of carbs and the tors delete caps seems universal unless stated otherwise. Though I have seen some caps say in the description that they will fit between a certain size (for ex. 28-36mm) so just keep an eye out for a warning like that, and just to be totally sure call or contact wherever your buying it from to see if it will fit your size/style of carb.

By chance is that a sno-mo carb? Unless you have an all out ,crazy wazoo drag motor that 38 is WAY to big

I'm not ruling that out by any means! The machine came with a twist throttle off another machine, and the cable was cob-jobbed...the local yamaha dealer was amazed that it was even on the machine and that it even ran.

Thanks Slick, I'll check that out later....when I get back home and have time.

Ok, hate to bump this thread, but I just have to. The end of my throttle cable that would normally hook to the TORS has that M10 thread on it. Does anyone know what size threads would be in a carb cap for a TORS eliminated carb? The pics of all the kits and caps for sale look small, like M8 or M6. Is there a reducer that I could buy? I really just want a cap, I don't want the entire kit of cable and cap.

Ok, hate to bump this thread, but I just have to. The end of my throttle cable that would normally hook to the TORS has that M10 thread on it. Does anyone know what size threads would be in a carb cap for a TORS eliminated carb? The pics of all the kits and caps for sale look small, like M8 or M6. Is there a reducer that I could buy? I really just want a cap, I don't want the entire kit of cable and cap.

Sorry to bump my own bump, but I have looked and looked for answers to these questions and I keep coming up empty. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a vm 28 mikuni also, But the caps had a different thread.
My solution was to get a different throttle cable for about 11 bucks from motion pro. Saved me hassle when I went to the oko carb, was able to just swap and go basically.

yes, oe on a blaster is a mikuni

Thanks for the direct answer.
I went to a vm 28 mikuni also, But the caps had a different thread.
My solution was to get a different throttle cable for about 11 bucks from motion pro. Saved me hassle when I went to the oko carb, was able to just swap and go basically.

I will have to try them again and see if they can figure out the cable I need. My carb cap isn't threaded for the cable, just a through hole and the able gets E-Clipped on the inside to keep it from slipping back out. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the direct answer.

I will have to try them again and see if they can figure out the cable I need. My carb cap isn't threaded for the cable, just a through hole and the able gets E-Clipped on the inside to keep it from slipping back out. Thanks for the feedback.

The cap part numbers for 26mm (stock carb) and the 28mm carb you have are the same part number according to sudco! Ya could of had this fixed by now! :D

The cap part numbers for 26mm (stock carb) and the 28mm carb you have are the same part number according to sudco! Ya could of had this fixed by now! :D

You are absolutely correct. My problem was/is though, I located a guy locally, thru a friend that might have parts, and by chance he had a Motion Pro 26mm-32mm carb cap...still in the packaging. I bought it for $12, but when I got home, it was too small. It may not have been for a Mikuni, do other carbs in 26mm-32mm have different size caps? Anyhow, got my money back, but now I'm just confused as to what I have or what will work. Oh well, $23, might as well try it. I'll let ya know...if it doesn't work, ya owe me a beer, if it does, I'll owe you.

You are absolutely correct. My problem was/is though, I located a guy locally, thru a friend that might have parts, and by chance he had a Motion Pro 26mm-32mm carb cap...still in the packaging. I bought it for $12, but when I got home, it was too small. It may not have been for a Mikuni, do other carbs in 26mm-32mm have different size caps? Anyhow, got my money back, but now I'm just confused as to what I have or what will work. Oh well, $23, might as well try it. I'll let ya know...if it doesn't work, ya owe me a beer, if it does, I'll owe you.

Uh oh Slick, looks like first round is on you. I:I
0418121737.jpg

So, alright, I called Motion Pro, apparently I have an aftermarket carb. X( WTF!!! They don't supply the carb cap, so they hooked me up with Sudco...sweet. I call them up, I check out their website, I call them back to order...they only take orders over $25. :eek: The carb cap I need, is $8.77!!! :( They hook me up with some motorsports company in Oregon...they don't answer their damn phones....ugh! I'm getting dizzy. :-/ Doesn't anyone have a carb cap for a Mikuni VM 28????? Here's the funny thing too, Sudco doesn't have a VM28 in their catalog, two VM26 and a VM30...again, no VM28...the guy tells me because that is OEM. Wait...what??? I'm as confused as..as...as...as a 2 stroke in a mud hole! Damn!!!