Won't start?

EMFTrackDesigns

Mar 17, 2013
Caldwell,Id
Ok. So son picked up a blaster. It has sat for 2yrs on fresh top end w/gas in it. Bone stock w/toomey pipe. Started first kick ran for approx. 20 seconds then died. He brought it to my house tonight and I could smell the gas. So we pulled carb. I only had mass air flow cleaner so we only got it so clean,and it was BAD!! 1/16 " deep guuuu in bottom of float bowl. Nugget of gum?on bottom of main jet and needle was even rough. So like I said "I could only get it so clean". So after reassembly started,died,started,died,started,died and so on. Starting fluid would keep it running but only for a good second. So we pull started it ( hillbilly) got it running and it would only run if you could keep it in the powerband? So he weelee'd into back of my car but saved it and took it around block. It ran good in top-end but just die as soon as he let off. So he took it home and really cleaned carb,pep-weiner,tank,reeds and plug. Still wont start? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!! William

hey william, welcome to BF.
you need to completly disassemble the carb, all jets, airscrew, choke, ect, ect. to properly clean the carb
here's a thread.......

http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/how-clean-your-carb-pics-209/

sounds like your pilot jet is clogged, it's down in the small hole beside the main jet, you'll need to buy/use some carb cleaner, run a small wire thru the jets, spray again, blow compressed air thru them and all passges of the carb, spray again.

here's a few tuning threads to help get the float setting and airscrew set......

http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/float-heights-how-adjust-them-50565/

http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet-51060/

i'd also pull the petcock off the tank (2 phillips screws)and clean the screens on the pick-up tubes, careful...they tear easily.
chances are if it's gummed up in the carb, it may have those gummed too ?

This is what I prefer to use : Berryman® Chem-Dip® Carburetor and Parts Cleaner | Berryman Products. May also want to pull the needle jet/emulsion tube for cleaning, there are small holes on the side of it also. DO NOT soak any plastic or rubber in Berrymans, tho you can use it to wipe them.
And this also helps : http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/easy-almost-free-way-stop-leaky-carbs-33335/. Make sure O-ring on outside of seat is in good condition also.

BTW
WELCOME
to the
DIRT PILE ! ! !

I:I :D I:I​

It may pay to do a leak down test or tear the head off and check if there is any thing wrong with the piston.

BTW, you don't need to tear the head off to inspect the piston. Pull the exhaust off and look into the port. You can see most of the cylinder and the ex side of piston. IF you see a problem, then you continue disassembly. That is AFTER you wash it AND either get a Clymers manual or download manual.

Hey guys. Thanks for info. He did completely teardown and clean carb,reeds and pepcock. It ended up being the tors.I:I Bypassed and it idled. He's gonna test ride today. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thx again.I:I

Wish I had a $ for every time it was a Tors problem, and $10 for every time it is a nontypical tors problem, such as this ^^^ only runs "in" the powerband, WTF? Usually won't run with any throttle :eek:.
Is it me or does there seem to be more of these nontypical symptoms popping up. Are these brains really starting to loose their minds? Wonder if they would/could advance the timing to say 10* and really jack a motor up? X(

Ok. Better but not right. If you wait 15-20min. It will fire and run for a few seconds then die. You can also get it started w/starting fluid and keep it running at 1/4-full throttle. But won't idle. It will not run below 1/4 throttle.

Any more tips?

I think when he bypassed tors it just gave it enough time to run for a minutes for him. It was late when he did it and was only able to fire up,idle for a few, couple revs then shut down. This morning if fired first kick but only run for approx 20sec. Then died. He then cleaned plug fired right up then died. That's when he got it started w/starting fluid and was able keep running at 1/4-full throttle but won't idle or run below 1/4 throttle.

Just trying to give as much info as possible. I am trying to get him on here to join the conversation.

Thx again.

I know he cleaned the carb, but was it soaked or quick douche with spray bomb? Comepletely disassembled? The pilot jet has a hole that a wire from wire brush or bread bag twist tie barely fits. Then the passage for fuel from pilot jet past idle air valve.
When I clean a carb I like to be able to blow compressed air both ways through carb body just to be sure it's open. And I like to use this : Berryman Chem-Dip Carburetor and Parts Cleaner: Automotive : Walmart.com Do not soak rubber or plastic though, ok to wipe float needle with it. Also remove needle jet/emulsion tube up through slide bore and clean it.

So he took it home and really cleaned carb,pep-weiner,tank,reeds and plug. Still wont start? Any ideas?

The only thing I did not clean was the choke could that b the prob

So we get to the truth of the matter.

Really cleaned the carb, what else should you be telling us?

By the way, lay off the starting fluid or you will soon be asking how to change a piston.

By the way, lay off the starting fluid or you will soon be asking how to change a piston.

I:II:II:I
starting fluid does not contain the oil needed to lubricate.

you cannot clean a fouled plug, oil gets up inside the porcelien and causes it to fire internally instead of at the tip, especially under the pressure of the combustion chamber....it may look ok doing a spark test against the cylider head, but not fire when installed, and may fire at idle, but not at any rpm above idle
TRY A NEW PLUG

these start, idle, run a few seconds and die, are also symptoms of a float level problem.
like it's getting fuel into the bowl when allowed to sit, but quickly runs out when started ??
was good strong fuel flow confirmed thru the fuel line to the carb ??
were the floats pulled and the float valve/needle cleaned ?
float height checked ??.........

http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/float-heights-how-adjust-them-50565/