Went riding today and broke my lightened flywheel! Look at the pics!!

Wifesblaster

Built not bought
Feb 10, 2012
Maryland
First and foremost KEN OCCONOR DID NOT LIGHTEN THIS FLYWHEEL. I had this flywheel lightened by a machinest we know. He took 20 thousandths off the side and face. This flywheel was torqued down to spec by ken when he assembled the motor. Not sure how it happend. I was ripping on it for about an hour and started to hear what sounded like detination. not sure if I was hearing things I decided to ride it a little more. It got louder so the bike was shut down. I tried to restart and it wouldnt. Pulled the plug and there was no spark. After going through all the wiring I pulled the stator cover off. I don't have a picture of the piece that broke off (Threw it in the woods), but you will get the idea. The only damage was the flywheel and pickup coil. Enjoy some carnage pics I:I

Long story short. KOR will build you a motor with enough power to break the flywheel!

glad the carnage was minimal !

better send that local dude to the KOR youtube channel for a lesson in flywheel lightening, he obviously took too much off, and is why ken cut one in 1/2 to see just how far is safe to cut.......

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be right. I will measure it in the morning with calipers and feeler guages. I think my KOR motor just makes to much power!

I don't think there is any cons. I think the machinest took to much out. if he did only take 20 thousanths out then there might be a risk of iy breaking loose. My motor has a lot of mods though. I've never heard of one breaking. Probably just took to much out.

After watching the video ken does it a little different. I will be sending him my replacement to lighten it. Lessen is it's cheaper to have KOR do it the first time, not the second.

Wow. Never seen any thing like that.. Definitely looks like little to much taken off. Thing is when do you draw the line,to much,,not enough?? Well as we all know the stock fly wheel is pretty thick to begin with and just leaving that little xtra while lightening would have probably prevented this problem.. by any chance did you feel any vibration,, as if a magnet came loose and it vibrated to self destruction or magnet got stuck on inside and it sheered off being so thin.... Kind of like a drag car spinning rims without bead locks.. seems like you got a pretty peppy motor..I:I

the con for a ported cylinder is some people might not want it so powerful for there 10 year old kid coming off a raptor 90. i thought i heard it somewere that a lightened fly wheel bringes less mementum, that might not be so good for riding in the sand dunes

They have a throttle stop for the 10 year old kid and it increases throttle response I don't see how that could be a con. A flat tire reduces momentum. When you let off the gas the plan is to slow down, not to see how far you can coast. If you really need a con I can give you another one. You have to take the 10 min to take it off and put it back on.

Wow. Never seen any thing like that.. Definitely looks like little to much taken off. Thing is when do you draw the line,to much,,not enough?? Well as we all know the stock fly wheel is pretty thick to begin with and just leaving that little xtra while lightening would have probably prevented this problem.. by any chance did you feel any vibration,, as if a magnet came loose and it vibrated to self destruction or magnet got stuck on inside and it sheered off being so thin.... Kind of like a drag car spinning rims without bead locks.. seems like you got a pretty peppy motor..I:I

The only thing I heard was a pinging noise. The motor runs great. I've never heard of it breaking either. That's why Ken is getting a call tomorrow. Sending one to him.

As far as lightend or even weighed fly wheel is centrifugal force... Riders not only lighten them but also add weight, all depends on ride and riding style. Adding weight to the flywheel provides smoother power and more traction in rough terrain. Woods, trail and dirt track riders will generally choose a heavy flywheel. Will allow the rider to ride longer with less fatique and reduce stalling at low RPM's. Subtracting weight allows the engine to rev faster, which provides a distinct advantage when getting up to full speed quickly is required. Sand, dune and MX riders will generally choose a light weight flywheel. Increases accelleration/snap. Even some heavier fly whels will affect turning since the fly wheel is spinning and kind of acting like a helicopter. Think a helicopter without the rear rotor it would spin.. on a quad you don't feel it as much but on a bike with a heavier fly wheel many riders can feel it.. take one of those 20$ cheap helicopters and move it back n fourth in your hand side to side, you will feel the pull...i kind of got off this posts subject sorry about that but. But i myself am looking to lighten my own fly wheels..

im just saying most everything in life has a con big or little.

what is the con of a girl with a set of double D's ? I:I
greater chance of you getting a black eye ? :eek:

some things come with all the cons already built in, and any improvement is all pro !

what is the con of a girl with a set of double D's ? I:I
greater chance of you getting a black eye ? :eek:

some things come with all the cons already built in, and any improvement is all pro !

Lmao.

89 blaster Were you thinking about getting your flywheel lightened. Or just trying to find a con??

I'm sending one to Kor soon myself. Was this on the bike with the plus 4 timing?? How did you like throttle response and everything with+4 and lightend fly wheel..i mean other than the implode.. did it work well for you??? I'm looking to do the same thing,+4 advance and lightened fly wheel together.. sux that that happened on you...sorry to hear that..