Tire Review Thread

darederek

May 31, 2010
Greensburg
Well guys we have a pipe review thread and i was wondering about different tires so i figured why not a tire review thread.

here is what we will go by

Tire:
Price:
Size:
Rating out of 10 for...: (1 being worst 10 being best)
Sliding:
Traction:
Durability:
Wear Rate:
Mud:
Loose Pack:
Hard Pack:
Grass:
Sand:
Snow:
Any other comments:

Feel free to add anything you want when you add your tires. hopefully we can get a good list going and get this stickied to stop all the WHAT TIRE? questions (or at least have somewhere to direct them)

I think this would be cool.I would like to hear how different tires perform.I hope this takes off. I would do a review on mine but I have not rode them yet. Have some rep for a good idea.

Tire:razr/razr mx
Price: got mine for $60 ea.
Size:20x11x9/18x10x8
Sliding:8
Traction:6
Durability:5
Wear Rate:4
Mud:3
Loose Pack:5
Hard Pack:8
Grass:7
Sand:5
Snow:2

Tire:kenda bear claw
Price: not sure
Size:22x12x9
Sliding:3
Traction:8
Durability:8
Wear Rate:7
Mud:7
Loose Pack:8
Hard Pack:6
Grass:7
Sand:7
Snow:5
Any other comments: wicked for straight line, and holeshots. no good for turning, sliding or paved roads at high speeds

and i have ridden on a few different brands and models.

good idea i was just thinking about making this thread myself and i thought nah wouldnt work out. i was actually tryin to find a review on those artrax tires but no luck. i went ahead and ordored them, so soon as i try em out ill do a review. but i do have razrs on the other blaster
Tire:4ply razr
Price:$40.
Size:21x7x10/20x11x8
Traction:7
Durability:6
Wear Rate:5
Mud:4
Loose Pack:5
Hard Pack:6
Grass:4
Sand:N/A
Snow:3
Any other comments: fronts are awsome great improvment over stock. the rears have been on probley a year longer than the fronts. from what i can remember they did pretty good overall. amazing improvment over the stock ballons. on hard acceleration they spin pretty bad but once they get rolling its all good from there

Tire: Artrax mxtr rears
Price: i think like $36 or something close
Size: 18/10x8
Sliding: 8
Traction: 8
Durability: 5
Wear Rate: 5
Mud: 7
Loose Pack: 8
Hard Pack: 9
Grass: 6
Sand: 6
Snow: havent seen snow yet
Any other comments: for the price of the tire they are amazing. keep in mind, i'm comparing to stock baloons and almost bald 18's that were on there before

Reactions: Backwoodsracing
theres that review i was looking for lol.....

i havent done too much riding on them, but when i was at the mx track they had a sand section, most of the track was hard pack, and there was a little mud. they did better than i expected on all parts of the track. on grass, however, it takes alot more body language than i would like to get the front end up without spinning. they didnt show any wear whatsoever from the day at the track, but i ride around my neighborhood on the concrete alot and that wears them pretty quickly

Tire:ITP holeshot XCR front23in/back20in
Price:not cheap lol
Size:23/20
Traction:8
Durability:7
Wear Rate:6
Mud:7
Loose Pack:7
Hard Pack:8
Grass:dont know (not much grass here)
Sand:6
Snow:dont know
Any other comments:good all around and last long due to the compound

Tire:ITP holeshot HD
Price:quite pricey
Size:21/23
Sliding:5
Traction:10
Durability:10
Wear Rate:5
Mud:9
Loose Pack:9
Hard Pack:5(hard pack tends to tear the lugs off under acceleration)
Grass:dk
Sand:8
Snow:7
Any other comments:expensive and dont wear long but are amazing. pretty heavy but 8plies on a desert race or gncc race = durability would be suprised if the were bullet proof haha

dont ask for a sticky, but this is a good idea adn someone do a reveiw on the maxxis 4-snow tires so i can order them already lol

got the artrax in today..first thought. doesnt look like they are going to last that long or grip that well. they dont have near the tread my xcrs, xcs or razrs had. but they where way cheaper soo what can u expect i guess. will see what happens

the artrax suck to put on its harder to get them to bead than getting them on the rim. when i got mine i thought they where motorcycle tires, they was so squished together so tight. the back two was about the size of a normal front. i pmed myusername to see how he got his on and he used ratchet straps. i couldnt find my good straps so i used those crappy pull straps..it almost worked. i ended up finding this tire blower thing, i dont know what its called, but u put 120psi in it and then you hook the air hose to the tire and as its pushing air in the tire u hold the air blower thing at the side of the rim at a gap and release all the air at once out of it. kinda hard to explain but it worked great. im goin to take that thing to the mall and blow off some skirts lol

this a great idea...i dont think ive seen one of these yet..lets clean it up and just keep to the reveiws and we will sticky this

Tire:....kenda kutters
Price:.....i think about 80 bucks a tire
Size: backs ...20x11x9.....fronts...19x7x10????
Sliding:.....6
Traction:......8
Durability:......9....6 ply rating
Wear Rate:......9....6 ply rating
Mud:....7
Loose Pack:.....7
Hard Pack:.....9
Grass:.........9
Sand:......7
Snow:...?????
Any other comments....way better than any other tires ive used...going on a yr with them and showing hardly any wear on them

way better than the razrs and holeshots that i have used

a-ight, i'm not gonna fill out the form, but i've had a few different tires on my 3 blasters over 12 years,
stock - suck,
wooley boogers a little better,
turftamers, good traction, but 2 ply, cut easily and wear fast
holeshots - ok traction but wear quickly
razr's - good traction, ok wear
pure sport bandits - had 6 ply fronts for 6 years back in the day on my '96, sold it with them on, prolly still 1/2 tread
have the 4 ply fronts now, and just luv the squared off profile, tracking, zero rollover, and last forever, too bad they're not made anymore
have razr's on the rear now, a little better traction than the 6 ply bandits i did have on, but cant find a good 10" rim to put them on

my choice for my ruff/rocky riding area and style.......
bandits or razr's, the more plys the better

Tire:....GBC Sand Sharks
Price:....~$65 ea
Size: backs ...20x10x8
Sliding:.....5
Traction:......9
Durability:......x-they are sand tires, not many punctures happen in the dunes
Wear Rate:......10
Mud:....x
Loose Pack:.....x
Hard Pack:.....x
Grass:.........x
Sand:......9
Snow:...x
Any other comments....good quality sand tire, and the paddle scoops still look new after 3 trips... do their job well

Tire: ITP Mud Lite AT
Price: ~85 give or take each
Size:22x11x8
Sliding: 5, they can if you want them to in the right conditions, but they're not really the best tires for sliding sideways. When I'm going to rip through the sandy dirt roads of my neighbors cranberry bogs, I bump up the PSI. Otherwise I run them at about 3-4 psi for mixed woods riding for a little more comfort and traction on rocks and variable woods (think 4x4 trails through the NE woods).
Traction: 10, they hook up everywhere
Durability: 10 6-ply, need I say more?
Wear Rate: 9 moderate compound, 3/4" deep lugs, not soft, not hard. I got a set used (after the other quad I had with them was stolen) from a guy that had em on a banshee and did burnouts on the road with them because he didn't like them and they barely wore down the front edges of the lugs....tread depth still all there.
Mud: 10, well, duh.
Loose Pack: 9, great because you can slide them out and get them spinning around corners if/when you want to, but they don't spin/slide unless you want them to.
Hard Pack: X, I don't really have any experience on hard packed roads, sorry.
Grass: 8-10 depending on grass. They don't spin...depending on the grass and how wet it is. They will rip up your yard easily if you're not careful.
Sand: 7 they hook up no problem, but their weight (not the heaviest, but heavier than a sand tire) kinda makes them not all that great for ripping sand. Normally for sand I think of a tire that you keep spinning....this is not a tire that will keep spinning!!!
Snow: 10, the nature of the sport quad is the limiting factor in the snow, not these tires.
Any other comments: 16.8#s per tire according to manufacturer. As the name says, they're relatively light for the type of tread they are. I ride mixed woods and use the ATV for everything that a sport ATV shouldn't be used for and I love these tires. This is not the tire for everyone, but if you ride the woods, and like to go where sport quads probably shouldn't, look at this tire.

Tire:Maxxis Razr Mx
Price:about $50 each
Size:front-19-6-10 Rear-18-8-8
Traction:7
Durability:6---they are only 2ply but they are surprisingly strong
Wear Rate:7---good durable compound
Mud:5
Loose Pack:7
Hard Pack:9
Grass:dk
Sand:6
Snow:dk
Any other comments: amazing on the track and they are extremely light. and they are surprisingly strong and wear long, and they are affordable, only issue is ground clearance since they are really small

I like my Pure Sports Bandit XC's
BanditPureSports.jpg