Twist throttle or thumb throttle

• Twist

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Thumb

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

Quadrunner101

Mar 20, 2016
Found a conversion kit for my blaster made by vito to go from thumb to twist throttle. I know lots of people have done it! So what's the good vs the bad!!?

I run the thumb throttle on my blaster, and a twist throttle on my banshee, and I like them both, and I run tight woods trails on both machines. From my experience, and listening to other riders, and letting them try my machines, if you have to ask weather or not a twist throttle is right for you, then the answer is no. I started riding sport atvs back in the late 80s when the Honda 250r was king and the first mod anyone did was ditch the thumb throttle and put on a twist, so I personally like it, but I've seen too many people riding with a twist throttle that shouldn't be.

Found a conversion kit for my blaster made by vito to go from thumb to twist throttle. I know lots of people have done it! So what's the good vs the bad!!?
i have a twist on mine..... i hate it. i let my dad ride it and he wheelied in to the car.... i got a thumb throttle on the way. i could sell it to u if u would want it.

Reactions: Awk08
There's a cpl guys at my work who race dirt bikes, & have had lots of quads. When I mentioned to them I was thinking of putting a twist throttle on my quad, they screamed NOOO! They explained that the weight shifting on a quad is different (you through your weight on a quad to prevent tipping, you lean your weight on a bike to continue a turn) and the range of motion of the bars ( smaller counter steering bump on a bike) makes a twist throttle on a quad very annoying, & more tiring.
That was both of their opinions, & it made sense to me.

Reactions: 79 bronco
I don't like a twist throttle on a ATV because i cant lean my whole body all the way to the left wile turning my bars all the way to the left while reaching my right arm all the way to the right while controlling the twist throttle properly!:eek:

Last edited:
To each his own, I use a twister with no problems at all, but I will add that it is not everyone's cuppa tea.

When first using a twister one can get a few adrenaline rushes, but once mastered you may find that you have better throttle control, especially in flight when needing to adjust the attitude for the landing.

Give it a try, you may love it, you may hate it, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Reactions: Tankbuster
The reason I got a quad is because it wasnt a twist throttle.
one never thinks bout this until you actually tried it. I personally have tried it on a friends quad and let tell you from experience...no to twist cause when sh*t hits the fan you want thumb so you can keep control of the bike.

Agreed - I have one of these on my bike and is the only answer to this age old question - I would say it is one of the best accessories I currently have fitted to my bike. Both forms of throttle have advantages, I use the thumb for the technical sections and where control is needed and swap over over twist for open stuff. On the long rides, your thumb will thank you... They are worth every cent.

http://atvconnection.com/articles/atv-throttle-conversion-kit-review-moose-racing-dual-gasser-2/

If you have to pick one throttle though, do not forego the thumb. There are very obvious reasons (stated by others above) why the manufacturers put them on our quads in the first place

My father has a twist on his '89 Blaster and I have a thumb on my '03. Both are good but I personally prefer the thumb, it's more comfortable, easier to control, and is keeping it pure. The first time I rode the twisty I nearly wheelie'd myself to Hell, though it was my first time and I was on asphalt. If you are more worried about performance, either one will work, it just depends on how much experience you have. Only reason my father has a twisty is because he injured his hand in his younger days and lost control of 3 fingers, so grip was an issue with the thumb.

I have a twist on my 2003 and I don’t like it at all and a thumb on my 2005 prefair the thumb so much better for wheelies and burnouts (my personal preference) will be changing the 03 to a thumb ASAP

Reactions: Awk08
I love my twisty!!! First thing I did on both of my quads. Never once wisky throttled it.
I’ve been riding since age 4... I ride hard! VERY HARD. What about a thumb throttle on my dirt bike? That would be crazy

I had a warrior 350 that I converted to a twist throttle, for me the worst thing about it was I was doing some donuts and I was going clockwise and my wrist got pinned against my body and I couldn't release the throttle and ended up rolling the bike. I know it was my fault for doing them, but I still do them. Just now I go counter clockwise. Oh the other bad is if you go on a all day ride, your forearm gets wore out from all the twisting. But thats just my opinion