Shock REVIEW

96MXBlaster

Jun 20, 2010
SD
saw there is a pipe review so i thought i would start a shock review thread copy and paste this to fill out

Name or brand of shocks

price new{ } used { }

triple rate dual rate or single spring?

rezzies or no rezzies?

would you reccommend them?

overall performance?

Name or brand of shocks PEP Racing

price new{ } used { } not for sure do know they are pretty expensive though

triple rate dual rate or single spring? front and back single spring

rezzies or no rezzies? rezzies

would you reccommend them? yes i would reccomend these to everyone

overall performance? very very nice shocks they are on the soft side. havent got a chance to really test them out yet but just took it for a short test drive and i love them

Name or brand of shocks.... Fox float X Evols

price new{ 1500} used {700-1200 depending on shape }

triple rate dual rate or single spring? Air shocks

rezzies or no rezzies? Piggybacks

would you reccommend them? Over anything I've ever rode on

overall performance? Excellent, very smooth over rough terrain of trails and soaks up jumps great. Wouldn't own anything different

Name or brand of shocks.... Fox float X Evols

price new{ 1500} used {700-1200 depending on shape }

triple rate dual rate or single spring? Air shocks

rezzies or no rezzies? Piggybacks

would you reccommend them? Over anything I've ever rode on

overall performance? Excellent, very smooth over rough terrain of trails and soaks up jumps great. Wouldn't own anything different

sound like nice shocks i have heard they are awesome but havent had a chance to ride a quaad with them. will have to sometime!

Name or brand of shocks: Custom Axis front shocks

price new{ } used { } {1400} {got'em for 400}

triple rate dual rate or single spring? triple rate

would you reccommend them? Hell yeah, soft plush ride and yet hard enough to handle the big jumps

overall performance? Excellent

Fronts:

Name or brand of shocks: HLS/GTThunder yfz 450 shocks mounted to ASR long-Travels

price new{ 695 } used { ???? }

triple rate dual rate or single spring? Dual Eibach Springs

rezzies or no rezzies? No rezzies on request (setup to rider weight for trail riding)

would you reccommend them? Absolutely

overall performance? 8/10 fronts

REAR SHOCK: YFZ stock rear with rezzie revalved and dual springed with Eibach springs by GTThunder .....Setup to sag to blaster height on custom +3 swingarm with custom bushings made by myself and turned down stock bolt done by 442

Rating 10/10.....only one i've ever seen and would highly recommend

Price: Cost of YFZ rear and 430$ for custom work/setup

Name or brand of shocks: Custom Axis front shocks

price new{ } used { } {1400} {got'em for 400}

triple rate dual rate or single spring? triple rate

would you reccommend them? Hell yeah, soft plush ride and yet hard enough to handle the big jumps

overall performance? Excellent

cool! btw thanks for "sticky" this thread

Name or brand of shocks: YFZ 450

price new{ } used {R1000--($140 }

triple rate dual rate or single spring?: Single

rezzies or no rezzies? rezzie

would you reccommend them? YES

overall performance?

Probably best suited for the heavier rider, huge travel and excellent response, plush and controlled. adjustable rebound and compression an advantage over stock

Name or brand of shocks: YFZ 450

price new{ } used {R1000--($140 }

triple rate dual rate or single spring?: Single

rezzies or no rezzies? rezzie

would you reccommend them? YES

overall performance?

Probably best suited for the heavier rider, huge travel and excellent response, plush and controlled. adjustable rebound and compression an advantage over stock

how do they perfrom on the track?

well i mostly do enduro riding but have used them round a track a few times, they made for excellent landings etc, NEVER bottomed them out and im quite a heavy guy.

well i mostly do enduro riding but have used them round a track a few times, they made for excellent landings etc, NEVER bottomed them out and im quite a heavy guy.

cool! i have wanted to try that setup for a long time

2 reviews here for a Banshee (if I may).

Name or brand of shocks: Works

price: used {275}

triple rate dual rate or single spring? Triple

rezzies or no rezzies? External reservoir

would you reccommend them? Budget dependant

overall performance? 6/10

Best time on my track with stock shocks: 1:19. This dropped to 1:07 with the Works installed. Comfort was much better, but a bit stiff for my taste. Bottom out resistance was great, however. The rebound was a bit high which I like, and compression was a bit stiff. All in all, they were well worth what I paid for them. They are awaiting a re-valve to go on my brother's Blaster because I upgraded to these:

Name or brand of shocks: Elka

price new $1699 (all 3 w/ added rebound to fronts)
*$2285 shipped for all 3 shocks, added rebound to front, LT LSR arms, tie rods, and streamline brake lines.

triple rate dual rate or single spring? Triple

rezzies or no rezzies? Piggyback reservoirs

would you recommend them? Yes

overall performance? 10/10

The new best lap time was 0:59 after 4 laps. I didn't time myself after I broke the 1:00 mark. I upgraded these with Lonestar DC-Pro long travel arms. Total travel is supposed to be 10.75", I got 11.125". I am able to ride much harder and much faster with less effort. I can focus more on carving a good line and passing instead of trying to manage rolling and kicking sideways and actually staying on the bike and out of the trees. Anything under 3-4" is largely unnoticed once up to 15-20mph. 6-8" bumps are manageable, anything larger is hard to manage due to tire size and frame geometry.

Jumps are effortless. I can eat at a YFZ on a motocross track until I get tired. The shocks responded very well to only 2-3 clicks of adjustment.

These have saved my ass more than once. I bottomed the rear out after a hillclimb in which I carried way too much speed. I gained a good 15' of air or more and just barely bottomed out. Another time is while riding a dirt road that I've ridden since I was 8 or so. I flew over a hill expecting to land on a smooth surface, instead flying towards a foot deep, 2 foot wide wash out. My front tires hit jsut hard enough to jar me pretty bad and the rear caught the full effect, kicking the rear up and sideways. I managed to stay planted and out of the woods. I stopped about 6-7 feet from a very large pine. Had I been on anything else, I'm convinced that I wouldn't be here. That also convinced me to invest in a top notch helmet and other gear.

All in all and not considering the last paragraph, I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. They make riding so much more pleasurable. I've always said that anything that's good goes unnoticed, and these are definitely the case.