quad setup for mx

alawinhumanity

May 18, 2009
foley, mn
I'm looking at getting started racing my quad. It would be motocross not drag or anything else. I want to know what would help out my quad to be abouve the competition. My mods so far are wisceo piston, carbon fiber reeds, k&n filter w/o airbox lid, Jetted carb, pro circuit exhaust, oil injection block off, aftermarket clutch springs(I forgot what lbs my brother said they are). That's my engine mods. I'm starting on my stock shocks until I can afford something else. I need my quad to stay under 200cc. I know porting it will help. Will a stroker crank put me over the 200cc? What are some suggestions

yes, a stroker crank will put you over the 200cc limit. Work on your suspension. Shocks are expensive but well worth it. Also, practice as much as you can. The more you ride the better your stamina will be.

Engine wise you sound OK. You want to be strong for the straights, sure, but start putting your money into suspension.

Shocks: ASAP, mine has Works and they seem to work well, you can find used ones from time to time, but bear in mind that used shocks might need rebuilding and factor that into the cost. I just paid $350 for a factory rebuild/revalving and new springs.

Width: Do anything you can to gain width. (50 inches max) A-Arms and a wider axle are best but even spacers can be a real plus. Flip the fronts if your wheel offset makes that desirable. You can get flush valve stems installed to clear the brakes or redrill the rims and run tubes. Taking corners fast is the difference between racing and winning, don't forget to slide your weight in, off the seat.

Length: A couple, three inches of extended swingarm can be a real plus to control wheelies on launch and is also supposed to help smooth whoops, but it is prob less important than width and shocks. Good Luck!

Well I went and raced and got smoked. I realize that I need better tires. I spun way too much. My whole body is sore from bottoming out when I jumped. New shocks are a must. I need to practice alot more too. I had never been on a track until I went out to race.

I have widened out my quad with axel spacers. 3inch front, 5inch in rear. I need a longer swingarm because when I wasn't spinning my tires I was ridding wheelies.

It was a fun learning experience. I've been ridding quad for only a month now.

I'd get rid of those spacers. You're just asking for trouble by using them. The stock axle won't hold up and if you case it hard on a jump, the most likely thing to break is going to be one of those spacers

banshee axle, 18 -10 inch tires id suggest for rear
gearing .......maybe for the front diamond j customs kit only saying these caz it sounds like your on a budget remove as much weight as possible too lights etc