Polishing...What do I need

007blaster

Dec 12, 2011
Northern Michigan
Hey fellas,
What is all needed to go a good job at polishing.
I have a pretty decent sized bench grinder. So Ill need to get compounds..what colors? is there different types within each color? Sandpaper...1200 and down?? WD40 for wet sanding?
What are guys using to get in the nooks and crannies of the clutch covers, carbs and places where the big buffing wheel and my fingers wont fit. I know its a pain staking task but im willing to try it out.
Can someone post pics of what theyve polished. Shifters, pegs, covers, throttles, carbs, kickers...etc
Thanks I:I

Polishing sucks!!!!!!! I am not sure on the size hp of your bench grinder is but a 1/3 or 1/2 hp is going to be a slow process.You want heat when polishing and for the wheel to keep spinning and not stop. To start you will need to step sand the parts,start at 220 or 320 and then just keep stepping up a size.I go to 600 grit and then start polishing.For aluminum you will need to get a treated vented buff with black emory compund and a spiral sewn cotton buff with white compound.Sand and prep the part,use treated buff with black emory and hit it all over.Then switch to cotton buff with white compund and you will see it shine!!! I only ever use mothers to keep the proper polished parts looking good.Hope this helps.

Polishing sucks!!!!!!! I am not sure on the size hp of your bench grinder is but a 1/3 or 1/2 hp is going to be a slow process.You want heat when polishing and for the wheel to keep spinning and not stop. To start you will need to step sand the parts,start at 220 or 320 and then just keep stepping up a size.I go to 600 grit and then start polishing.For aluminum you will need to get a treated vented buff with black emory compund and a spiral sewn cotton buff with white compound.Sand and prep the part,use treated buff with black emory and hit it all over.Then switch to cotton buff with white compund and you will see it shine!!! I only ever use mothers to keep the proper polished parts looking good.Hope this helps.

That helps a bunch. What is a good place to pick this stuff up at? Any tricks for the small areas like carb bodies and small parts on clutch/throttle covers.

I like to buy my stuff from caswell.You will find some supplies like compunds and some buffs at lowes but not everything in one place.I use a foredom tool to get into all the tight places with cotton buffs.Cone tips,round,etc etc harbor freight will sell a few cheapo kits with this stuff in it to get you started using your dremel.Just remember you can "hide" most of the very tight spaces with a good polishing job.You still work them good but you dont have to go nuking futs over them.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/index.html

I buy all my stuff from Eastwood. My flex shaft and smaller sandpaper cones I bought from cc specialties

Can someone post pics of what theyve polished.

Not blaster parts but still very shiny (iPad pic doesn't do them justice).
image-11_zps9902e8d6.jpg

$50 will get you set up to clean and polish pretty much any small parts. I use corn cob media and just add in some Nu Finish Polish and let it run for a couple hours.
image-11_zps85ef4df4.jpg