My visit to KOR 11/25/2015

Skinny Puppy

Nov 9, 2015
Connecticut
Happy Thanksgiving all!!!
Yesterday I took a drive to KOR to drop off my flywheel to have it lighten.
I was greeted by Ken upon arrival not in a business way but more like we have been friends for a long time.
He welcomed me and my dog Max, (who I take everywhere) into his shop and he gave us a tour.
I was not only impressed by the cleanliness and organization, but how Ken took time to explain the various machines he uses and their functions to me in a language that was easy to understand.
He answered all my questions and never made me feel uncomfortable for asking them.
When we returned to the room to which I entered the shop Ken took my flywheel out of the box and proceeded to cut it down.
Ken did this because he did not want me to have to drive all the way back (over an hour) just to pick it up.
During the tour of the shop I was in awe but watching Ken work I was truly in the presents of a craftsman who explained everything he was doing and why it was being done.
His every moment was precise, fluent and explained.
As the flywheel was being cut we spoke of unrelated Blaster topics and as I said, it was like being in the presents of an old friend.
To anyone thinking of sending anything to Ken for work I have this to say; you will not find better customer service anywhere. At KOR you are a human being, your job is a priority and no matter how many times Ken hears the same questions that many of us ask him-he will answer it in an easy to understand language and never look down on us for asking.
I can guarantee that when you receive your part whatever work Ken does will not be contaminated from mishandling and you will find no shards of metal floating around in it.
His shop is the cleanest shop I have ever seen (if my ex-wife keep the house as clean she wouldn't be my ex) and there was not one stray shard of metal anywhere.
I spoke to him about my engine and what I wanted him to do and I learned not everything I wanted him do would be good for the longevity of my engine or my bank account. Unlike other shops I dealt with when building V8's he will not just take your money knowing that his work does not match your parts or intended use.
Ken has a love for what he does and respect and dedication to his customers.
My advice is if you are going to have him do some work let him let him do the complete job.
My buddy with the Dremel Tool may have good intentions but he is not going to guarantee his porting like Ken.
I found if he does the complete job the better he can craft it into a bullet proof machine.
While speaking to Ken and telling him of the direction I am going with my Blaster I did give AWK credit for setting me straight as well as others on the forum for their post asking the same questions I would ask and those who answered.
I made it clear to Ken that most all of my knowledge comes from the forum and I was completely honest that my thoughts of what was going to be a good build would have resulted in my melting my piston and other costly nastiness.
I seriously did not want him or anyone else to think I am a prodigy with this build and firmly believe in giving credit where credit is due.
(AWK thank you for all your patients I am well aware I am in right field with a hockey stick at times)
So that was my visit to KOR and I am beyond impressed.
Thank you so much Ken for all the time you gave to me and Max and your patience and dedication to all of us.
And thank you to all the forum members for passing on the much needed knowledge.

How are you Pudvah?
I hope you and the family had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I do agree with you that we are lucky to have Ken in our back yard-but I would like to share a little something I witnessed first hand during my visit.
It really doesn't matter to Ken if you are a stranger showing up on his doorstep with a dog in tow and flywheel in hand or if you live in a different country and send him parts that are not easily obtainable in the U.S. He will treat you the same and guarantee his work whether you speak English or not.
As I said, in my brief visit with him I witnessed this first hand.

And Pudvah, I look forward to meeting up with you and riding.
(Just give me time to build it.)

Good write up boss. I'd love to one day get a chance to tour that shop, but distance and my life keep that from happening. I'm jealous!

In all honesty there is nothing to be jealous of.
Everything I experienced is available by emailing him or calling.
Well, almost everything. My next visit to drop off my engine I will try to encourage him to make and upload a music video on YouTube.

Thanks Boss. Glad you had a good time.

Ken, you opened your shop door to me and Max, you welcomed us into your world, you filled my head with a lot of knowledge others regard as trade secrets, we had a couple of laughs, your machines and how you operated them brought back some cherished memories of my dad and you did me a giant favor.
I had a pretty damn good time.
I will announce my next visit when I am ready to bring you my engine.
Thank you again.