Interested in racing

tweathers

Mar 16, 2009
I am a fairly new rider (had my blaster for 2 1/2 seasons) I have done most of my riding in Glamis and El Mirage (trails not the lake bed) and I rode a private track last weekend and had tons of fun and would like to get into it. Does anyone have any tips for me to get into this especially what needs to be done to my quad. I am looking into getting a Vito's 240 BB kit since my top end is getting close to blowing anyways. Keeping in mind I am not planning on getting extremely into it just go out to the track and have fun every once in a while. Also I still have not jumped anything more than a tabletop so are there tracks in So Cal that either have all table tops or at least able to roll the doubles?

Thanks in advance!!!

I am a fairly new rider (had my blaster for 2 1/2 seasons) I have done most of my riding in Glamis and El Mirage (trails not the lake bed) and I rode a private track last weekend and had tons of fun and would like to get into it. Does anyone have any tips for me to get into this especially what needs to be done to my quad. I am looking into getting a Vito's 240 BB kit since my top end is getting close to blowing anyways. Keeping in mind I am not planning on getting extremely into it just go out to the track and have fun every once in a while. Also I still have not jumped anything more than a tabletop so are there tracks in So Cal that either have all table tops or at least able to roll the doubles?

Thanks in advance!!!

where abouts are you?? are they still having races at the imperial county fairfrounds??

If you wanna get into racing for the fun of it, I'd suggest getting a good set of nerf bars, tether kill switch, good rear tires and instead of getting the bb kit, get a good port job on your stock cylinder. Don't wait for the motor to blow. It'll just cost you more to fix it. Also, find a track that you want to race at and go talk to some of the racers there. Find out what there running for gearing, tires and so on..

yeah thats what im in the process of, i want to get started. im not doing the bb kit because whare i live the classes are set up if i had a bb kit it would put me racing agenst 450s but if i just get it ported i can run with anything 300cc 4pokes, wich will be 250x, 250ex,majaves, 300ex, and others, and if i do good i might get the bb next year and try it with the big boys

I would get a-arms and shocks before I did any engine work. you can do all the motor work in the world but you wont go very fast bouncing around like a maniac f*cking a beachball. unless your drag racing or flat tracking, with equal riders suspension will beat motor.

where abouts are you?? are they still having races at the imperial county fairfrounds??

I'm north of that I'm in the "surfer section" of CA and I want to start racing quads haha. Im in North Orange County. so that would be a little far. Does anyone know if comp edge has quad runs on the track?

If you wanna get into racing for the fun of it, I'd suggest getting a good set of nerf bars, tether kill switch, good rear tires and instead of getting the bb kit, get a good port job on your stock cylinder. Don't wait for the motor to blow. It'll just cost you more to fix it. Also, find a track that you want to race at and go talk to some of the racers there. Find out what there running for gearing, tires and so on..

well I bought the quad from my friend's dad who got it and put the Duncan Racing kit on it and since then has had the top end done several times and from what i have been told it is bored out so much i would need a whole new top end not just machine work but idk for sure so i am kind of up in the air about that. i do know it is pretty quick for a blaster it pulls me (230 lbs) up oldsmobile hill at glamis in 3rd gear

Oldsmobile Hill:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get a-arms and shocks before I did any engine work. you can do all the motor work in the world but you wont go very fast bouncing around like a maniac f*cking a beachball. unless your drag racing or flat tracking, with equal riders suspension will beat motor.

what size a arms would you recommend? also would you recommend a certain size rear swing arm i want to get something bigger to prevent its tendency to want to lift the front up all the way once it hits the pipe in first.

+2 swingarm is good for Mx not too big but enough to keep it down a bit, I would get +2 or +4 adjustable rear axle, 2+1 a-arms, and find cheap shocks like banshee fronts and a 300ex rear

that duncan racing kit looks to already have a ported cylinder.. your going to have to resleeve it

that duncan racing kit looks to already have a ported cylinder.. your going to have to resleeve it

im hoping not my friend said he thinks it has been bored to the point to need to be resleeved...it is pretty f*ckin quick right now. i am going to ask my friends dad what has been done to it and he will probably give me receipts for every bit of labor, parts, and machine work...aw crap he sells HAAS CNC machines he might have done the work himself haha.

+2 swingarm is good for Mx not too big but enough to keep it down a bit, I would get +2 or +4 adjustable rear axle, 2+1 a-arms, and find cheap shocks like banshee fronts and a 300ex rear

thanks alot. any suggestions of good websites to find these parts? or at least good manufacturers of them so i can try to find some good used ones on craigslist or ebay or even here.

also what years are all those parts compatible with? that you know of anyways. seems to me that most years are pretty much the same

What type of tracks are ou going to race big jumps tight turns or ama more open style? We race a blaster on tight tracks with big jumps, and open tracks in AMA and we do do some changes base on the tracks.