idels with choke dies when put in gear.

bronco4x4

Mar 28, 2017
98 blaster has tors all stock . just put on the oil injection block off kit. And took off the carb to clean . put back together and it will kick over and start with the choke and me giving a Little gas . but when i turn off the choke amd put in gear it bogs down and dies. I dont know what to do ive check the spark plug. And the petcok on the gas tank it has spark and gas.any idea what to do ? Thanks

Check the float level when you cleaned the carb?

Did you install the little rubber nipple cover on the oil feed hose on the carb?

Check the float level when you cleaned the carb?

Did you install the little rubber nipple cover on the oil feed hose on the carb?
The flot level is flat and level and yes i put the little nipple cover on the oil feed hose. Any other ideas. ?

No choke = dies. That means it's either way to lean, or pilot jet is dirty. What size is in it? Just because it's 'stock' doesn't mean someone didn't swap it out.

Whats the air screw at?

When you get it to idle with the choke, grab a can of starting fluid/brake or carb cleaner and spray it around the entire engine. Every nut/bolt. If it revs up, you've found your air leak.

If not, I know it's a total pain in the ass, but take off the carb and go through it again. Take out every jet, use Q-tips, and pull the choke plunger. Clean it all out again.

The flot level is flat and level

Flat and level or in spec? Set to 21mm?

No choke = dies. That means it's either way to lean, or pilot jet is dirty. What size is in it? Just because it's 'stock' doesn't mean someone didn't swap it out.

Whats the air screw at?

When you get it to idle with the choke, grab a can of starting fluid/brake or carb cleaner and spray it around the entire engine. Every nut/bolt. If it revs up, you've found your air leak.

If not, I know it's a total pain in the ass, but take off the carb and go through it again. Take out every jet, use Q-tips, and pull the choke plunger. Clean it all out again.

Flat and level or in spec? Set to 21mm?
The air screw is 1and a half turns and its a 230 jet. Ill get some starting fluid and try that.

The air screw is 1and a half turns and its a 230 jet. Ill get some starting fluid and try that.

Rip the pilot jet out and clean that bad boy.

Just to clarify, does it idle Without the choke? And THEN die when you put it in gear? Or doesn't idle at all without help?

Rip the pilot jet out and clean that bad boy.

Just to clarify, does it idle Without the choke? And THEN die when you put it in gear? Or doesn't idle at all without help?
It will idel with choke and alittle help. And when choke is pushed in will run for a couple minutes but bogs down and dies . or when i turn off the choke and put it in gear it bogs down and dies

Both the idle and air/fuel are 1 1/2 out? Take your idle screw and turn it left until it idles by itself. Then you can fine tune the air screw.

Idle adjusting.
Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain
when the screw is cracked open.
Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.
Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of
unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.
Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+
Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.
Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.
Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .
if the air screw ends up being more than 2 1/2 turns out the pilot is too big.
if the air screw is less than 1/2 a turn out the pilot is too small