High idle in neutral

Brad Kolinski

Apr 19, 2020
Hi! brand new to the forum, traded for a 98 blaster 2 weeks ago and did a top end rebuild. Was not running nor had compression. I also got the chinese carb. my buddy and I got a spark and got it started, however, it would kick over, rev way up, and then die. We found that when we kick it over the carb boot leaked air, so I got gasket maker and we plugged that hole, and triple checked for a leak. The issue persisted so we threw it into gear and it runs really good, will idle and stay at constant rpms, but as soon as you pull the clutch or put it in neutral, it revs way up. Having this new of a top end I don't want to keep it reving that high as to damage it. I premixed 32/1, but dont have the oil pump officially blocked off from the crank case. we couldn't find the nipple on the chinese carb for oil injection hose, we have 3 vents with hoses and the fuel line. I cant figure this out.

Hi! brand new to the forum, traded for a 98 blaster 2 weeks ago and did a top end rebuild. Was not running nor had compression. I also got the chinese carb. my buddy and I got a spark and got it started, however, it would kick over, rev way up, and then die. We found that when we kick it over the carb boot leaked air, so I got gasket maker and we plugged that hole, and triple checked for a leak. The issue persisted so we threw it into gear and it runs really good, will idle and stay at constant rpms, but as soon as you pull the clutch or put it in neutral, it revs way up. Having this new of a top end I don't want to keep it reving that high as to damage it. I premixed 32/1, but dont have the oil pump officially blocked off from the crank case. we couldn't find the nipple on the chinese carb for oil injection hose, we have 3 vents with hoses and the fuel line. I cant figure this out.
You need to Buy a new carb boot. How did you do the rebuild. Bore your cylinder. Or ordered a whole Chinese kit with carb?was new reed gasket used? Really need to do a leakdown test after a rebuild to make sure you have no air leaks. Did you try turning idle screw out alittle. See if idle comes down. Most of the time those cheap kits are nothing but a headache. Keep all your original parts. Carb cylinder. head. You may need them

You need to Buy a new carb boot. How did you do the rebuild. Bore your cylinder. Or ordered a whole Chinese kit with carb?was new reed gasket used? Really need to do a leakdown test after a rebuild to make sure you have no air leaks. Did you try turning idle screw out alittle. See if idle comes down. Most of the time those cheap kits are nothing but a headache. Keep all your original parts. Carb cylinder. head. You may need them
The carb boot wasn’t leaking. It felt like the cylinder against the reed boot. We got a new gasket and it didn’t fit right, so we sealed it up. With the old carb. It looked like the main jet broke off and melted inside the cylinder, and shot it out. This totally screwed the piston and cylinder. Kept the head and got a chinese rebuild kit. The only air leak I can think of now would be the crank seal, but I’m not burning any oil that I know of. I just found last night that the tors system has been half assed taken out. Only the wire by the thumb throttle has been removed. I’m gonna run it today and see how it goes

edit: I should do a leak down test. Don’t have the supplies at the moment

Last edited:
The carb boot wasn’t leaking. It felt like the cylinder against the reed boot. We got a new gasket and it didn’t fit right, so we sealed it up. With the old carb. It looked like the main jet broke off and melted inside the cylinder, and shot it out. This totally screwed the piston and cylinder. Kept the head and got a chinese rebuild kit. The only air leak I can think of now would be the crank seal, but I’m not burning any oil that I know of. I just found last night that the tors system has been half assed taken out. Only the wire by the thumb throttle has been removed. I’m gonna run it today and see how it goes

edit: I should do a leak down test. Don’t have the supplies at the moment
You mentioned 1 crank seal. The other one is behind the flywheel . when it leaks it only sucks air. No smoking till topend is fryed.
Your stock cylinder can be bored to clean it up.save all tour original parts. They are way better quality than you just installed.
Air leaks kill a 2stroke fast. If not fixed you probably won't be riding long before topend is toast. It can also damage crank and bearings. Something cheap can turn into something expensive fairly quickly

Reactions: Brad Kolinski
Start with doing a proper leak down test ! It’s the only way to ensure a leak free engine !
Failure to do so will result in another top end or worse !

Reactions: Slydog