Help me gear for 22" tires

Trick440

Apr 4, 2009
Hey i have a 2006 Blaster. What gearing would be good for 22" tires.

This thing came with nice tires, so I'm sticking with the 22". This is my kids quad. I don't ride it much, but when I do it seems like it might be geared a bit low. Currently it is a 13 tooth front & a 40 tooth rear. What do you guys think?

It has a toomey pipe. Foam filter, nuttin special.

Trail riding, kids only 12.

Thanks.

I'd like to do with other peoples experiance right now. Cause like I said I don't ride it enough to really tell and the kid doesn't even probably know what a gear is yet.

You run 20" tires on your 14/40 setup? If your running 20" on a stroked motor, this stock/piped blaster might not pull the taller gear.

If you feel first gear is worthless and you shift to 2nd quickly then Id suggest 14/40. Hard to tell really.. I put my 14t on the stock 22" tires when I got mine on basically stock setup and it moved fine.

Yeah 14/40 with 20's still lacks in first. I got a 15 tooth somewhere, but Idk when to pull out the dremel. I'm done with my blaster til I get a job anyway : /

I have a few more mods than you8-| but I am running 14/40 w/22"s and don't really like it for the tight trails. I just bought a 12 tooth but haven't had a chance to put it on yet. The main reason I don't like the 14/40 is because the trails I like are really tight and have sticky mud all over this time of year. I also like to take on some pretty nice hills from time to time.

if you change to 14/40 its going to loose alil acceleration and pick up some top end mph.. if he is 12 id leave it right where it is untell he is fully comfortable with the accel/ speed of the stock gearing and tire size..
than play with gearing...

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will leave the 13/40 setup. It sounds like thats fine. And if I seen correctly the stock gearing is 13/40 w. 20" rears, running the 22" this thing is technically geared a bit taller than stock.

I also started thinking about some hills I seen this kid climb, he has been under the powerband kinda chugging up the hill. It made me nervous. Although I was impressed that even though he was way under the powerband that blaster seemed to climb the hill pretty easy.

stocks are 22 inch ballons..

i ran 13/40 with 22s for the longest time... didnt care for it.. i went 1440 with 18s for 'performance' resons and it worked out, pulled hard thrrew the gears and topped out ad 67 i think,

Oh geez 22" are stock.. lol.. those things are huge. Its almost funny looking.
4cfed, That sounds like a good setup. Just the less weight and rotating mass of the 18" I'm sure makes a huge difference.

I just put a 12 tooth on mine yesterday. so now I am running 12/40 with 22"s. I went ridding yesterday at a really tight hair-scramble track. I rode the same place 2 weeks ago and this time it was a lot nicer, it pulled the hills much easier, and it didn't bog when I got in deep mud. The only loss was on the top speed. I never ride on roads so that was not a issue with me. Most of the time I cant even make it into 5 or 6 on the tight trails I've been riding lately.

I just put a 12 tooth on mine yesterday. so now I am running 12/40 with 22"s. I went ridding yesterday at a really tight hair-scramble track. I rode the same place 2 weeks ago and this time it was a lot nicer, it pulled the hills much easier, and it didn't bog when I got in deep mud. The only loss was on the top speed. I never ride on roads so that was not a issue with me. Most of the time I cant even make it into 5 or 6 on the tight trails I've been riding lately.

We got 12 tooth today, it was better than the 13.