Got a WR200 Motor

Blaner

Your Friendly South African Ambassador
Mar 26, 2008
East London, South Africa
Hi Guys, its been a few months again, sort of got fed up after I snapped my rear shock, that was after I snapped my swingarm...so I had a bad run and the bikes been parked since. I retreated to build up my enthusiasm again...

Joy of Joys, im as keen as ever to get my bike rolling again. What really sparked me off was casually stumbling upon a WR200 engine. Yes, a Yamaha WR 200. Not a DT 200. I dont believe you guys got this motor in the USA, we did, and its pretty awesome, its the advanced descendant of the DT200, which we all know was the Adam of our beloved YFS200 motor.

The guy is a hard bargainer, but i managed to convince him to let go of the motor, the carb and the powervalve setup (Part of the motor right!!??)

The WR200 has a direct crankcase fed intake, no more intake into the cylinder. It looks to have much bigger reeds, has taller primary dive and gear ratios, has a proper head design and has proper port timing, and YPVS (Yamaha Powervalve System). Of course, its water cooled as well, and a[art from the rear swingarm engine case hole , which is a few mm smaller than the blaster, is a direct bolt in! I thought they had Mikuni 28mm carbs, but when I measured it, it reads 30mm, so im not to sure, but bigger is better...On top of that, we have 33hp in standard trim vs the 17hp from a Blaster in stock trim. I heavily modded blaster can match a stock WR200, so I get performance with the reliability of a standard motor. Awesome.

Im going to pick it up on Saturday, its not in bad shape, but will need some attention, strip down and probably a full rebuild. Il also have to sort out a cooling system as the rads are a bit messed up.

Here is the link.
http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcyc...london/yamaha-wr200/1001462576570910435962409

Who can spell EXCITED!

Reactions: bummer981
Thanks man, well im not looking at it as a immediate project, il have to slowly build up the parts, which the exchange rate the way it is right now, its blatty expensive to get spares!! First on the list is a new swinger with 450 shock and linkage, so that takes priority, then il get busy stripping the new kit and see whats in there... Bu til probably strip as soon as I get it!

Well, here it is, needs some TLC, but has loads of potential. Having another look at things, turns out, the WR200 does not share casings with the YFS200 and the DT200. It hasa unique setup. However, having checked it out, I noticed only two possible snags.
1: The lower read engine mount is higher than the YFS, meaning it needs a bracket to extend the frame mount.
2: The exhaust port lies at a sharper angle to the horizontal than the YFS, this should be overcome but adjusting the exhaust hangers a touch.

Other differences, which are not really problems include:
1: The clutch pivot arm is on the opposite side, no big deal.
2: Intake feeds into the crankcase - Awesome!
3: The intake and reeds are 10mm wider than the YFS, much larger intake volume capacity
4: The Jug reads "199cc"
5: The piston is apparently 66.8mm standard - not 66mm.?

I can fit the cylinder of the WR onto blaster casings, and vice versa.

The carb is a Mikuni TM. It looks like a 30mm, unless my vernier caliper is playing up... Trouble is, the slide and spring assembly is missing. Anyone able to help source one of these? Did Mikuni make a TM30mm?

So far, the parts list is looking something like this:

• Crank bearings
  • Crank seals
  • Crank? (Im sure a vito’s +3 could work here, with a spacer. Will have to check casings to see if possible.)
  • Conrod (with Big-end) – with Vitos?
  • Piston +Rings – no windows on intake side – solid skirts
  • Gaskets
  • Carb slide – 3XP-14112-40 (Carb Model: Mikuni TM) – looks like a 30mm, I see Yamaha has discontinued the slide assembly so need 2nd hand – could be tough to find. Know any aftermarket carb spares sites?)
  • Needle – 3XP-1490J-10
  • Clutch pivot arm
  • YPVS Pulley (maybe not required, but seems a little worn)
  • Kickstart spring (Something not lekker there – ratchet not working)
  • Various casing bearings (Possibly)
  • Voltage regulator (Blaster one may be ok?)
  • Condenser (necessary?)

Terry, I wonder if you would be able to help source spares from Down Under, didnt you guys get this motor there?

Reactions: jus_me
Might pay to see if any parts from the WR250 from same era may fit.

Lots of models never made it to the U.S. We did get WR250 and WR 500 tho.

DT220 and DT230 made it to OZ, and probably other places.

So jelly :p

Hey Larry, it seems the YZ125 share its guts with this motor as well, but il look into that, another buggerup is that the cylinder is supposed to be nikisil lined. Well this one has been sleeved...does that affect cooling at all?

Accordign to KOR - a properly sleeved cylinder shouldn't adversely affect your engine dynamics:
http://kenoconnorracing.com/Cylinder plating VS Cylinder Sleeves.html

"The Bottom Line

Both systems perform equally well when professionally done, so it really comes down to economics. You can expect a sleeved cylinder to give more life for the money. Re-plated cylinders are as close to original as you can get. So if your happy with your OEM plated cylinder you should have it re-plated. If not have it sleeved by a company that has the reputation, experience, and warranties to protect your investment.

Author Thomas Schueneman"

Using the whole WR motor. Ive put this project on ice until next year. Too many expenses right now! Besides, Ive still got a swingarm to build first. But we will get there. It sounds like Jus Me may have a carb for me...:)

Update: As luck would have it, my brother who works with Mercedes Benz is going to Alabama next week. Seeing this as a perfect opportunity to gather some parts for the WR, This would mean huge savings on shipping and import taxes. I bit the bullet and ordered some parts.

I have ordered a Mikuni TM34 some WR200 crank bearings and the electrical condenser unit and a Vitos +3 blaster crank.Looking at the part numbers it seems the Blaster crank and conrod are the same as the WR, in which case the Vitos +3 stroker kit will/should work in the WR motor. That should give it a kick in the pants, not that it will need it!

I've got a Vitos 3mm in my current build with a Vitos Big Bore jug.
It has been started but no chain hooked up yet. The goal is to have it running next weekend but lots of parts missing yet. I liked the Vitos crank Blaner. The stuffers look great and it fit no problem with the Big Bore. With a stock bore I'd check for interference with the rod at the bottom of the cylinder edges. I'm just going to run everything (carb, pipe, etc) stock at first to get it going and baseline it.

I'm really interested in that WR200. With the crankcase feed it should be capable of big HP numbers like a motocross engine. The piston port feed really holds the Blaster and DT200 back.

I'm reading you Blaner! Get some picts up! I love what you do.

Steve

Must be the WR 200 is another model not imported in U.S.
Don't know about other places but there were DT 220 and DT230 sold in Australia
So jelly.

We do have WR 250 &500 here though.

Hi guys i havnt been on here for a long time.. im in australia..wr200 and dt200R are very similar engine wise both engine cases are the same, dt200r steel liner wr200 plated, wr has bigger transfer ports and intake and no oil pump..the biggest differencec was in the bike its self..chasis suspension brakes all basicaly yz125 for the wr200. The dt200R is very common here cheap and plentifull. The wr200 is also common but no where as much as the dt as not all wr200 had compliance to ride on the road.
The dt200L, which shares its bottom end with the blaster is not that common as they only made them from 84 to 86..the the dt200R,crank case inducted motor, from 88 to the late 90s , dt230, longer stroke dt200 with plated bore, we got also from late 90s to early 2000s but very few of those also.
The crank from blaster will not work in the dt200R/wr200 due to its shorter crank primary drive side which is needed to carry an extra gear to pick up the water pump on the dt/wr. I have heard of someone making an extension but to my knowlege never was trialed. But Where there is a will there is a way..

I just bought a dt200r for 300 bucks, I think its a 89 or 90, it has the crankcase intake and the bike has low miles. and the motors on its original bore which is unbelievable, I have a vitos stroked blaster so im not going to swap engines, but thanks for the info twinrock, because i wasnt sure if it was a dt200wr or a dt200r, it has 195cm on the motor and a metal tank so it must be the dtr

I just bought a dt200r for 300 bucks, I think its a 89 or 90, it has the crankcase intake and the bike has low miles. and the motors on its original bore which is unbelievable, I have a vitos stroked blaster so im not going to swap engines, but thanks for the info twinrock, because i wasnt sure if it was a dt200wr or a dt200r, it has 195cm on the motor and a metal tank so it must be the dtr

Hi Jess, I'm riding a 1990 DT200
60877155_10157036617410803_1104679332426547200_o.jpg

and my son has the earlier (1986?) DT200 engine in a Blaster
10537120_10152565385665803_4006090999319035637_n.jpg

From this bike:
533150_10151004864575803_1364115038_n.jpg

The motor out of the 1986 DT200 is nearly a direct swap into a Blaster (still lots of problems!) .
The 1990 motor has some major differences that will make a more complicated swap. Just so you know.
Not near as complicated as a KTM motocross engine swap:
199410_10150167877235803_120228_n.jpg

But don't expect to be done in an afternoon, or even a weekend....

Jus'sayin'

That 200R is in good shape, I finished my Dt200R a few months back, I rebuilt the bottom end and had the cylinder rebored with a Blaster 66.50 piston, my servo qiut so I have it pinned right now but man does it run good, I have a wr200 fatty on it now and what a difference from the stock pipe, I have a 230 main jet in it but its way to rich so I ordered a 190, 200, 210. I also found a 1987 DT200L and bought it, the bike is tore apart but everything is there, the cylinder is on stock bore and not out of round so I give it a quick hone and I have a wiseco 66mm piston for it, I was going to put he DT200L engine in my Blaster but I'm going to restore the bike. My Blaster has a ported vitos bbk, stroked with a dynoport pipe so its not worth doing the swap