Frustratin 2.0

Johnnyblaz20

Nov 2, 2020
Wayland, MI
Good morning all. I recently got my hands on an ancient (1988) blaster for $300. I could get it to start but it will not drive due to the low power.
So i put a complete new top end on it still wont run properly.
Just to clearify it does have a new weisco crank, like i said new top end, working clutch and there is spark.
Im wondering if tors could be the problem. The wires going to the carb is cut and connected. But other than that i have a stock carb.
I guess does anyone have any thoughts?
Fyi before i redid the top end it would idle nicely then it would make a clunk noise then want to stall.
Hmn my choke isnt in the greatest condition could that cause this?

Last edited:
I think the clunking noise is gone. What could it have been though? The top end was ok. 100psi, the cylunder actually looks as if it was freshly honed. And the crank is actually basically new, no extra play atall. I know the clutch is good. I have not taken off the stator side atall.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Right now i can start it with the choke on. It will bearly rev up and dies when the choke is turned off.

Im too deep into this blaster to give up and sell it. Lol soon every single part on it will be new. Basically it has to be the carb or electrical correct?

Make sure the carb is spotless. Remove jets make sure they are not plugged. You should be able to see light thru them.blow out all holes/ orifices with brake clean and compressed air if possible.
Also shine a light in reed cage when carb is off to make sure your reeds are sealing tight and not cracked or broken. They should sit flat against the cage

Thank you. Yes i already cleaned the carb 2 times. The reeds arent perfect but they are not broken or hevily gapped. Also the housing is not cracked atall.
Im starting to lean twards stator . Could the timing be off or cdi or maybe a bad choke be bad and cause this?
It start with choke on. I give gas and it sounds like it should be reving but just bogs like hisses.

Thank you. Yes i already cleaned the carb 2 times. The reeds arent perfect but they are not broken or hevily gapped. Also the housing is not cracked atall.
Im starting to lean twards stator . Could the timing be off or cdi or maybe a bad choke be bad and cause this?
It start with choke on. I give gas and it sounds like it should be reving but just bogs like hisses.
The timing is fixed on these. Unless an. Adjustable aftermarket stator plate was installed
Or the bolt holes were elongated on stock plate.

You sure you don't have any airleaks?
Lookup leakdown test on here.
If you feel there maybe a problem with choke take it apart and inspect and clean. You have to test and eliminate
Did something move into the exhaust system.
Causing a restriction

Did you bore the stock cylinder or is it Chinese?
Have you done a leak down test? Heat cycles? Retorque head and base nuts? Unplug TORS brain under hood. Only 3wire plug there.
Did you set the float? Remove main and pilot jet? Remove emulsion tube/main jet holder?
Is spark hot blue or lazy yellow?

Ok. Yes it is a chinese pos.
I am going to do the leakdown test this weekend
It will not run enough to do heat cycles. It like bearly idles and then stalls.
I did retourque the head.
TORS brain is unplugged
The carb. I strippes it totally down and cleaning. Including the jets and jet holder
Blue spark.

I have a feeling a big part of the problem is the carb still. I purchased the stock carb from someone else and i think he had it jetted for a modded blaster. This one i put the stock pipes back on, stock. Well everything.

Thank you.

Oh and. I purchased this chinese head/cylinder/piston kit because my brother in law told me it is probably the priblem. It had only 100 psi pressure on the test. I took the old head and piston off and noticed everything looked almost new. So the previous owner did the same thing i did. Also the crank was weisco and had like 0 play so it wss brand new also.

It has to be the carb.