engine over revving itself

darrencurry08

May 7, 2012
Northern Ireland
so had the top end off my blaster because it was leaking air at the head gasket so ordered a new one and it came in the mail today, i went out put the top end together again and fired the quad up for the first time, i noticed when i rev it about half throttle or before it just gets a bit too much air or something and over revs the sh*t out of itself so need help on this, have a guy coming to look at the quad tomorrow because its for sale and need this fixed :(

Well high rev usually points to an air leak. Make sure your air screw is at 1.5 turns out. I recommend leak testing it before you sell it.

x2 on what Wife's said. Did you Tourque the head bolts down properly to 18 ft lbs? If it was leaking before, that makes me think that you might not be getting a good seal on the gasket due to warpage or something along those lines.

Good Luck,
Fred

Head should be tensioned to 20 ft lbs, diagonally and incrementally.

At least 3 heat cycles then a re tension.

X2 on the leak test, start no more until it passes.

Head should be tensioned to 20 ft lbs, diagonally and incrementally.

At least 3 heat cycles then a re tension.

X2 on the leak test, start no more until it passes.

head nuts were torqued to 20ft lbs and base cylinder was torqued to 18ft lbs, when i put the reed valve on, the 2 bottom bolts were really loose and wouldn't tighten so i ripped it off again and put new gaskets on and got the holes helicoiled and tightened them and had no problems then, but havent got round to getting it fired up yet. will be doing so ina few mins, ill have to check the airscrew aswell think it may be too far in.