Dt200 motor swap (pics)

Oct 8, 2011
nova scotia
got the motor workin awsome on the dt200 and am having plans on putting the motor into the blaster. before i had thoughts of just motorswapping (eliminating the powervalve) but after convincing im planing to do a full harness swap. ive looked up lots of info and im sure i can do this swap. im planning on using the blasters full tranny gears on the motor for best performance and just running the sprockets to get bout 100 kpm tops.i can split a blaster motor in a night but havent done much tranny work. will the tranny gears come out easy? if i pulled the clutch cover off and undid that side aswell as the clutch, is it just a matter of splitting the case on the electro side and pulling the gears out? i wanted to change the primary aswell thats why i had to go under the clutch,or would it make for a simpler job leaving that and just swapping 1st to 6th?

33ytjj9.jpg

will get more pics

I would just swap both blaster tranny shafts and be done with it.Simple as pie.Same as doing it on a blaster.If you can split cases then it will be very simple for you.

ya i think your right if i left the dt primary in the bike will do exactally 100 kph at 9500 rpm and thats with stock sprockets

calculated with-

Yamaha YFS200/DT200 - Yummie Yami, Upgrade The YFS; To Be The Best

Gearing Calculator

Now if i split the magneto side of the case and pull off that side of the crank then is swapping those gear a matter of just simply just pulling them out of the bearings or is there clips holding them in? what about the shifting forks etc???? any info is good

How much easier than a YZ250 would it be? swingarm mount? who cares theres a yz250 in it lol! put the swingarm in the trunk. Sorry i know its liquid but the dt200 is no powerhouse without doing tons to jack the HP. then its still nutless. And a little nutty. Doing that much work and money to gain weight and very little power and ZERO bottom end sounds ridiculas to me. If you do all that i suggest you get earplugs and good tearoff Goggles/LOL every machine is still going to pass you.

How much easier than a YZ250 would it be? swingarm mount? who cares theres a yz250 in it lol! put the swingarm in the trunk. Sorry i know its liquid but the dt200 is no powerhouse without doing tons to jack the HP. then its still nutless. And a little nutty. Doing that much work and money to gain weight and very little power and ZERO bottom end sounds ridiculas to me. If you do all that i suggest you get earplugs and good tearoff Goggles/LOL every machine is still going to pass you.

the dt200 will bolt right in with no mods, minus finding a place the mount the powervalve actuators.

it's what the blaster engine was based off of.
as far as not being a powerhouse it is a much more capable motor than the blasters stock one just because of the powervalves alone.

also compare the stock hp numbers. 17hp on the yfs200 vs 31hp on the dt200.

and thats with the same bore and stroke as the yfs200.
throw in a 240 sleeve and you have a monster!

I did this mod a few years ago."

thats a nice job bro, how does/did it run ????

edit............i either missed the vid, or it was added after
sweeeeeet !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't have any pics but I did some shopping about a year ago for a DT and I found a backwoods ATV/Bike parts yard and became good friends with the owner and he has a bunch in the back. Jugs, new Wiseco pistons, Bottom ends, and 4 complete engines. On actually used to be in a Blaster for one of his racers back in 2003 and it is ported with a pipe and crank with reeds. He says it was pretty snarly and it kept right with the R's in the kids class. I'm really considering buying them all up.

That engine is very similar to my 89 kdx 200 i wonder how it would do its 37hp stock and the kips is all integrated internally ive got boysens,and an fmf desert pipe on it so far and its an awesome woods bike.

Anyone ever did a kawi swap in a blaster?dont know if this is the same thing as say putting ford in a chevy or vice versa so if it is i appologize lol but it looks like it would be a neat swap plus i just like kawis.

dos anyone know if the dt and blaster tranny gears can be traded without tradin out the dt clutch????? i think i seen that a dt main shaft and clutch are alittle smaller in size so if i put the blaster shafts and gears in i think i need to swap the clutch and primallys?? id rather keep the primary as the dt ratio and the gears as the blaster but is that possibly?

the yz 250 would be a JOB to put into a blaster i would know i watched my father put a 2003 or so ktm sx250 in his blaster and let me tell you VIBRATIONS and fabrications so for that i wouldent like a motor like that in my bike. the dt200 bolts right in no cutting anything it also has 31 hp that with a stock ( really crappy dt exhaust pipe) and fully stock ins and outs (Dt200 are rated stock to do like 100 MPH due to it being a street and trail) after re-gearing tranny and blaster aftermarket goodies (i plan on putting a vitos 3mm strocker in my dt motor) i think it will be puttin out abit more then 31 hp and look and feel like a real smooth bike. ps a banshee has 39 hp and look at the weight diff you prolly could build one of these to keeep right up with a shee