cost-engine rebuild

M

mikaren industries

I need to tear apart engine and replace piston rod. Can I get away with just replaceing piston rod or do I have to replace crankshaft assy? Is it easier just to buy the whole assy? I have it somewhat torn down, but am debating on rebuilding it myself vs. cost of having pro shop just do it. I have manual but am rusty at motor rebuild. Would appreciate any breakdown advice on saving time and money.

If you have a manual you can tear it down to the bare cases. It's really easy and the only thing that you need is a flywheel puller. As far as cost...do it yourself and purchase the whole assy...crank and rod. By the time you purchase the rod and have a shop press the crank apart, install the rod and ut it all back together it will almost cost the same...at least that what my local shop told me? Makes sence since the cost is not much more.

If you do it yourself also have a good impact gun ready to spin some nuts off, tube of yamabond or equivlant for the cases and a clean open work bench. Not hard at all just take your time and lay everything out the way it came out of the engine. The first one I split I seperated the work bench...left side of the bench for the left half of the motor and so on. Good luck and if you need any help just ask. I'm putting a crank in one as we speak!

Replacing the rod as opposed as to the whole crank assembly will save you $20.00. We will always throw the new assembly on the truing stand to check the balance. We have always been able to get it balanced better than right out of the box, and why not get it perfect.

Also it's best to have the tool to properly install the crank into the left side case, beating it with something will in most cases result in the clearances between the rod and the webs closing up.

dont you need a crankshaft tool, i dont think ( and dont know for sure cuz ive not done one yet ) you can press the crankshaft into the bores without it and not screw it up??? just curious for future rebuilds :)

im getting everything off of ebay to rebuild my entire motor...my brother is doing it...will cost about 300 bucks