Cold weather jetting

Tommyb6273

Nov 8, 2020
Any recommendations for a starting point on cold weather jetting?

My son wants to ride his 88 blaster this winter. We live in michigan.

My original blaster I bought new in 1996 came with a stock 230 main and an extra 240 it said to install in temps under freezing
I either never changed it or did the first year and never changed it back ? and rode in the winter many times, under freezing ? I'd think so.
I assume the 230 main was good at sea level, which requires richer jetting than here at 1800' elevation, so was the 230 main rich the whole time here ?
it ripped (for stock) I had it for 8 years and never fouled a plug or rebuilt it, sold it still starting on 1-2 kicks, even in the cold.

What we've learned on here .... the stock blaster with no mods and the oil injection will take a beating and keep going
once we start modding them .... pipes/filters/engine mods, etc. .... they become much more sensitive to jetting changes to prevent damage
but they are so "de-tuned" in bone stock form, it takes alot to damage them.

We've never compiled solid numbers on temp jetting, as every bike and elevation is different
Bone stock ? .... throw a 240 in it for temps under 40 and see how it does ? maybe up another size for every 20 degrees lower ?
give at all it can take without fouling plugs or running poorly at full throttle

the airscrew should be tuned for highest idle, I'd think a 1/2 turn in for easy starting and good idle in colder temps ?
I've never changed the clip position or needle on a stock blaster carb, for any reason.

I've been going 3 sizes up from a 155 for summer to a 162 in winter on my modded/Keihin carb blaster and doing well
under freezing I stay riding the couch nowadays :D

Very helpful, appreciate it.

My original blaster I bought new in 1996 came with a stock 230 main and an extra 240 it said to install in temps under freezing
I either never changed it or did the first year and never changed it back ? and rode in the winter many times, under freezing ? I'd think so.
I assume the 230 main was good at sea level, which requires richer jetting than here at 1800' elevation, so was the 230 main rich the whole time here ?
it ripped (for stock) I had it for 8 years and never fouled a plug or rebuilt it, sold it still starting on 1-2 kicks, even in the cold.

What we've learned on here .... the stock blaster with no mods and the oil injection will take a beating and keep going
once we start modding them .... pipes/filters/engine mods, etc. .... they become much more sensitive to jetting changes to prevent damage
but they are so "de-tuned" in bone stock form, it takes alot to damage them.

We've never compiled solid numbers on temp jetting, as every bike and elevation is different
Bone stock ? .... throw a 240 in it for temps under 40 and see how it does ? maybe up another size for every 20 degrees lower ?
give at all it can take without fouling plugs or running poorly at full throttle

the airscrew should be tuned for highest idle, I'd think a 1/2 turn in for easy starting and good idle in colder temps ?
I've never changed the clip position or needle on a stock blaster carb, for any reason.

I've been going 3 sizes up from a 155 for summer to a 162 in winter on my modded/Keihin carb blaster and doing well
under freezing I stay riding the couch nowadays :D

Reactions: Awk08