Clutch problem?

Jadidaskv

Jan 24, 2017
Having a really weird issue. I have to start my 2000 blaster in neutral. If i try to start it in gear, with the clutch in obviously, it jumps and wont start. When its running in neutral, i squeeze the clutch n put it in first, it jumps n dies. If i let it out a little/not squeezed all the way in, i get it to go in gear then its fine. Once i get it in gear i can shift, stop, everything no problem. Its just the initial kick down into gear after starting, and starting in gear.

1. How's the tranny oil?
2. How hard is it to pull in the clutch lever? Does it feel different?

My guess? Clutch is out of adjustment. Did this happen all of a sudden, or has it been slipping for a few days?

1. Maybe the cable broke?
2. Maybe the cable stretched out and need to adjust it at the perch.

Just a few things to check.

let it warm up longer as well.
change oil.
if not then time to open it up and inspect/replace
it can happen to alot of engines not just the blaster:)
sometimes the initial kick into first from starting it can be harsh sometimes
not saying it is perfect but it does happen once in awhile

Ya seems to be better once its warmed up, but not being able to start it in gear n not being able to ride for 15mins after starting it up kinda sucks lol. Im not even completely sure if i let it warm up for 10-15mins before kickin it down into first will stop it from happening, havent tried yet.

How can this be fixed? When i squeeze the clutch n watch the cable, seems to be operating fine. Any adjustment that would fix it? Or would i have to tear it apart n replace the clutch?

How can this be fixed?

would i have to tear it apart n replace the clutch?

Generally if the clutch cable is operating correctly, and it's all lined up, oil level is fine, then you'll have to open up the case to adjust it. You have a clymers? Otherwise, I'll be more then happy to crack mine open and post up pics of how to adjust the clutch.

Reactions: speedyslyder
Last edited:
Generally if the clutch cable is operating correctly, and it's all lined up, oil level is fine, then you'll have to open up the case to adjust it. You have a clymers? Otherwise, I'll be more then happy to crack mine open and post up pics of how to adjust the clutch.

This is my first blaster, first 4wheeler even so im not too familiar with them yet. I have been workin on cars for almost 15 years, so i am capable of doing pretty much anything, as long as i figure out what to do and whats needed to do it,im jus pretty green when it comes to quads. I learn quick though lol.

I thought the trans oil was the same as the engine oil. I did change the oil with some rotella t6, same oil i use in my wrx haha.

I def dont have clymers. Never even heard of those before lol.

I thought the trans oil was the same as the engine oil. I did change the oil with some rotella t6, same oil i use in my wrx haha.

Rut-row. Hope you didn't run it long with that oil in there. Our bikes require a special oil that's 'wet clutch safe'. Wet clutch means the bike uses the same oil to lube the gears AND clutch. That's another story for another day though. Go down to your local shop and grab some gear saver oil. I've run everything from Bel-Ray 80wt, to MTL 80wt (motorcycle tranny lube) made by Maxima. Looks like this:
http://www.motosport.com/product?ps...tFYkignibneVU6VcC2LWbp9qUIO16J3d1FxoCf3Tw_wcB

As for the clymers, every owner should have one. Breaks down every thing you've ever wanted/need to know. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Blaster-1988-2005-Clymer-Manuals/dp/0892878835

They have free ones online you can download, but who wants to keep getting their phone or computer dirty every time you work on the bike? Buy a book and be done. I'll post pics of instructions in a bit.

Really? Wtf!! I looked around on here before puttin the oil in it, and a lota ppl said could use pretty anything, 10w30, gear oil, ATF as long as its not dextron, two dif kinds of rotella, ect

Really? Wtf!! I looked around on here before puttin the oil in it, and a lota ppl said could use pretty anything, 10w30, gear oil, ATF as long as its not dextron, two dif kinds of rotella, ect

Yes/no. General rule of thumb is use something that's clutch safe. I've used 10-30, and ATF in a pinch. Aomeone I ride with swears by 10-30, but every time I ride his bike finding neautral is near impossible, and shifting gears isn't as smooth as mine is. Just food for though. That's what makes forums great. Everyone has a different opinion on everything.

Yes/no. General rule of thumb is use something that's clutch safe. I've used 10-30, and ATF in a pinch. Aomeone I ride with swears by 10-30, but every time I ride his bike finding neautral is near impossible, and shifting gears isn't as smooth as mine is. Just food for though. That's what makes forums great. Everyone has a different opinion on everything.

Absolutely. Find what you can and cant use, as well as what works betterb best, n not so good but will work.
Like you said, some ppl swear by 10w30. Some ppl swear by ATF, some gear oil. Some ppl think one works great, then some ppl wouldnt put that same stuff in their worst enemies bike.

What have you found works best?

IMG_0269.JPG

Lol...already step one i dont get lol. I understand everything else, but what does it mean to measure the clutch lever freeplay at the end of the clutch lever?
Pull in the clutch lever until it starts to pull the cable? So the cable shouldnt start to move until the end of the lever moves about 1/2"?

My blaster wont stay in gear. It takes time to get it in first. But when im shifting while riding it will get out of gear. And when its in gear it doesmt have the power as it use to. What does this mean?

My blaster wont stay in gear. It takes time to get it in first. But when im shifting while riding it will get out of gear. And when its in gear it doesmt have the power as it use to. What does this mean?

Read the advice they gave me. Go through and check everything. If the fluids and adjustments are all good and its not working properly, it most likely needs replacing.

Lol...already step one i dont get lol. I understand everything else, but what does it mean to measure the clutch lever freeplay at the end of the clutch lever?
Pull in the clutch lever until it starts to pull the cable? So the cable shouldnt start to move until the end of the lever moves about 1/2"?

Correct. From resting until there's tension on the cable, there should be 1/2 inch.

Reactions: Jadidaskv